1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Urine Stains

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Bunny, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Hi all, I just received a mounted white rabbit with.... completely urine stained paws. Why the taxidermist didn't wash this I don't know, or maybe the stains were permanent. Anyone have any tips for how I can get this out? Is pain/lacquer thinner advisable? I was told its good for bird feathers but I wasn't sure about an animal pelt. Also it worries me because the rabbit paws are so tiny with the fur close to the skin.

I appreciate your help and thank you!

2. A lot of white rabbits have their paws a yellowish colour (in life too) anyway, sure it;'s not that?

3. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I'm pretty sure its urine. I've had rabbits for over 10 years and am a very experienced rabbit owner. I have a rabbit with white paws and occasionally they get a slight yellow tone but it always goes away and they are normally bright white. Typically a rabbits paws are only yellow if they are kept in poor conditions, such as wire cages or areas where they have to sit in their pee a lot. A healthy and well cared for rabbit should not have yellow paws.

So that said, any tips on cleaning the pelt?

4. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Also- I will say, this is by far one of the cutest rabbit mounts I have ever seen. So many people seem to have trouble due to thin skin, etc. but this actually still looks like rabbit!! I will give it that!

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Hair color, $8 or $9 bucks will get a color to match your "hare".

6. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Haha Low T! Really though, I can just use a white blonde box hair dye and it won't damage the skin or anything underneath? I collect taxidermy- I have some great pieces, and as you have seen some a couple bad ones, but am trying to research and learn as much about the process as possible. I don't know that I have the desire to do taxidermy myself, not for fear of the process as I was a vet tech and an pretty familiar with animals being carved open, but mainly I want to learn how to identify quality better. Or things are are anatomically correct. At bare minimum have the ability to touch up something here and there. Thanks for your responses to my posts, its greatly appreciated by this newbie!

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Put it on, let set, rinse it off quickly and dry the feet as fast as you can with a "hare" dryer. (lol) , try not to let the feet get soft or rehydrated.

8. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Okay, will do!!! Thanks so much!