1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

5 dollar deerhead

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by double barrel, Jun 20, 2014.

1. double barrel

double barrel New Member

Out running a few errands last weekend and kept passing a "yardsale" sign. Finally I stopped in, way out in the country, long driveway up to a huge house. Got out, junk everywhere and a deerhead caught my eye. It was sitting in a chair and had 5 dollars on it. I asked, "did you kill this deer?" "Yea, about 30 years ago." Why are you selling it for 5 bucks? Well, It's been in the attic for years, my wife won't let me hang it up. It was clear that he had fond memories of the hunt. He started telling me the story. Killed in Indiana, it had just started snowing and he was in a tree and it walked out right under him and I could tell he was excited about it as it was his biggest buck and a good hunt to remember.

I was thinking, why would a wife not want her husband to have something like that knowing it meant something to him? The house was huge. Somewhere, there's got to be a place in that large house to hang it where it wont mess up her decor. I bought it, gave him my card and said I only live a few miles away, if you decide you want it back, give me a call.

In a jokeing way I told him, " I'd hang her in the attic on a nail if it was me. LOL!

2. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Very cool gesture db.

3. Andysmith

Andysmith Member

she sounds like a pleasure to be around....
    I feel sorry for him.

4. His wife can probably give many reasons why she won't let him hang it in the house, but mostly it's just selfishness on her part.

5. Truth of the matter is he should have grown a pair years ago. Hung it up and dared here to remove it. If she did then some of her chit gets removed.
    Two can play that game.

6. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

It amazes me how many times I hear the "hope my wife lets me hang it in the house" story. If you miss your Mom so much telling you what to do move home! I wanted a wife not my Mom to be married too! :eek:

7. dianny

dianny Member

I wonder how many rooms in that big house are filled with paintings and pictures she wants to look at.

8. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

I'm sure glad I have the wife I have! And the 2 daughters who love wildlife...AND the 2 daughter-in-laws who love it too. One of my daughter-in-law is a wildlife biologist! Love them all. Sure am lucky!

9. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

X2

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When my wife complained about my mounts hanging in the house and told me they were not going to be in the house anymore, I said yes dear, you are right. I went out and added a show room to my shop and a man cave to the house. She collects chicken stuff. I told her no more chicken items in the house. When you make enough money to save for it, you can add on a chicken room to the house. The chicken items are still in a box.

11. tem

tem Well-Known Member

his lost. go through all that to sit in a attic and then to give it away. must have not ment that much to him. ???

12. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

He scammed you. He probably stole it and now he's $5 ahead! He probably put another one out in its place after you left! ::)

But seriously, that was a good deal and it is very nice of you to let him call if he wanted it back. I wish I could find some cheap mounts at yard sales and flea markets! :-\

13. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

'cause you know it's gonna' be ruined hanging out in a utility shed or unheated garage

14. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

I guess I spoke too soon. I just bought a lamp with a nice male Bobwhite quail in it for $10 today at a yard sale. It's a "Wildlife Collection" lamp with the quail and habitat scene in the glass portion of the lamp. It's in good condition too... Just goes to show...

Never drive by a yard sale without stopping... :-[

15. wayne70

wayne70 Member

I had a customer whose wife said no ducks on her walls. He hung them from the ceiling. lol

16. If my wife ever tells me to take down my deer heads in my mountain home from the wall the next head that would be mounted on the wall will be hers. But am lucky she likes the deer heads just as much as I do I have a great wife.