1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

GETTN UNDER MY SKIN!!!!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by joinerswildlifecreations, Jun 20, 2014.

1. I AM KINDA NEW IN TAXIDERMY BUT HAVE A GREAT CLIENT LIST AND GROWING STEADILY EACH DAY. THING IS A NEW GUY OPENED UP JUST A FEW MILES DOWN THE ROAD FROM MY SHOP AND THE SOB IS CUTTN MY PRICES BY HALF! HIS WORK LOOKS SHOTTY AT BEST TO ME AND I DO THE VERY BEST AND MOUNT EVERYTHING AS IF IT WERE MY VERY OWN. I FEEL LIKE TAKEN A DRIVE DOWN TO HIS SHOP AND ASKING HIM IF HE IS TRYN TO MAKE A LIVEING AT TAXIDERMY OR JUST WHAT THE HELL HE IS THINKING! I DON'T KNOW WHY HE IS GETTIN UNDER MY SKIN SO BAD BUT HE DANG SURE IS! QUESTION IS, DO I LET MY WORK SPEAK FOR ITS SELF AND JUST DO WHAT I DO AND FORGET HIM? OR DO I GO TALK TO THE ASS? MAYBE I'M JUST VENTING HERE BUT WHAT HAVE YOU GUYS DONE IN THE PAST AS I AM SURE A FEW OF YOU HAVE RUN ACROSS THIS SAME PROBLEM?
    ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED,
    JASON

2. mmwtdh

mmwtdh Member

that was hard to read......

3. HARD TO READ? WELL, ANY WORDS TO EASE MY MIND FRIEND?

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

STOP SHOUTING. Release the cap lock and I might try.

5. WOW! I'm sorry bout the caps Mr George, i was'nt paying attentnion.

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

Personally, I have several guys around me that do that same thing. One reason I took my pricing off my site for awhile. All they did was undercut my pricing to get work. Well, I continue to put out the best work I can and get busier everyday. I have heard some of them are barely getting any work and have to work another job. My point is keep doing what you are doing and be professional and the bigger man. In the end it is nothing but hard work and good work that will get you where you are going. Good luck and have fun with it.

7. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

Dont sweat him. Do quality work, and be patient. It always takes care of its self. People who want quality will gravitate to you. We've all seen this scenario 100 times.

8. He was speaking of the all CAPS ! and it does make it hard to read.

You worry about what your doing and don't concern your self with what he is doing. Trying to talk to him will only add fuel to the fire. Do the best job your capable of at the price you want.
    If your worrying what the other guy is doing your not confident enough in your own work.

9. Well friends, all of you are makeing perfect sense and i am starting to feel better the more post i read. Thank you so much for the advice too!

10. Ok Mr George, will you speak your mind on the subjcet please?

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Take a deer to him to mount, one that you can part with, a junk rack and a shabby skin, and tell him that you would gladly pay $500 like you were to taxidermist Joe Schmo, but since he is only asking for chicken feed that he can do it for less. If he was smart, he would see that he could have had more money. Dont tell him that he is better, just cheaper.
    Then you will have an example of his work, for your customers to see.

12. Now there's a great idea! got a good idea and a gret laugh!
    thanks

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Actually, my "website" is only gratis to my late dear friend, Glen Conley. I have a paper pricelist available at the shop door and it's there for a customer service. If that allows the other taxidermists in the area to undercut me, I'm delighted and hope they get the work. Many times, however, I know it's being used by them to actually RAISE their prices and that's a good thing as well. And when they do, I raise my prices again so they'll still be low-balling me.

14. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

15. I have had the same scenario and just went about my business. Lo and behold here comes a guy with a fish that was a mess from the other guy. I looked like he painted it with stencils and the fins were ripped and damaged badly. This was the third piece That came from his shop and I refused the other two, but this time I said I could and would fix it. I asked what the other guy charged and he said $10. an inch. I said that is what you got. A $10. an inch job. I now have him and his step dad for two new steady customers

16. Re: It depends........

17. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    You are charging $350.00 for a deer shoulder mount and you're still getting under cut. WOW.

18. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Just goes to show that playing the low price game is a sure bet to the poor house. Someone will always be willing to do it for less! Let them!

19. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Amen Brother!

20. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Fast Turnaround.....Cheap Price...........Quality work.

Pick ONE. Might Be Realistic

Pick TWO.... Not realistic

All THREE.......Sorry.......we are no longer in business