1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

GETTN UNDER MY SKIN!!!!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by joinerswildlifecreations, Jun 20, 2014.

1. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Well at a buck seventy-five even using DP he won't last long! He will either flame out or wise up as will his customers. There is a few other taxidermist around me that are a tad cheaper and a couple a tad more but we all agree that if we have to pay the customers we would rather quit. Stick to your guns and if you so feel inclined have a sit down with him over a burger and talk about what you both would like to see and accomplish.

2. Thank ya'll for your input friends.

3. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

I would worry more about what you are charging than what he is. If you do quality work like you say you do, you are selling your skills to cheap. At his cheap ass prices he won't be under your skin for long.

4. neecf02

neecf02 New Member

I like LowT suggestion to have him mount one and hang it in your showroom for other customers to see. If the customers come in and try to get you to lower your price because of joe schmo down the road charges half and if you don't and they threaten to take it to him...all you need to do is point to his mount on your wall and tell them..."well, that's what you'll be getting, then." Then they can look at it and compare it to a mount that you have hanging right next to his and they will see the quality. I talked to a taxidermist about getting started in taxidermy. He told me to charge the same as all the other taxidermists in the area regardless of experience. He also told me to hang my first mount in the show room, because then if there are low ballers out there, then you can show them your first "low quality" mount and tell them thats what they'll be getting if they go to someone else cheaper. I would follow the advice that everyone else has suggested. I wouldn't talk to the guy, I wouldn't get steamed up about it...just worry about you and eventually the customers will figure it out and in the end you'll be the one still in business.

5. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

The only competion you have is to be better than the person/taxidermist that you were yesterday.

6. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

You are not alone. Lowballers and hacks are everywhere. Do a good job and charge what you want to regardless of what others around you do. If you still can't make a reasonable living, find something else to do.

7. Have you considered the possibility that maybe the guy is just new to the business, knows his work isn't worth as much as yours, and is simply adjusting his prices accordingly? Not everything is a competition, you know.

8. Thanks ya'll, i plan on keeping up my quality work and my prices. I will let the other guy dig his own grave! My mind is alot more at ease after hearing everyones thoughts.
    jason