1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First fish. Critiques appreciated

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by DogSoldierChick, Jun 20, 2014.

1. I know it's rough... Shrinkage was bad and I never trained in fish so I wasn't sure how to repair. My brother in law caught this one and wanted it mounted to go along with a bigger one he has. It measured 35 inches tip to tip. He is happy with it but I know better. He wouldn't get it mounted unless it was a skin mount and claims it come out much better than the other one he has.

So shrinkage is my main upset but the paint job wasn't what I hoped either.

What video should I get if I decide to try another fish? What fish is best to start on. I have several suckers I'd like to do someday. I'm a bowfishing girl and want to do some trash fish. I'm sure if I can improve I'd like to offer fish to my clients. I'm a small mammal and duck kinda girl but I also big game a turkeys etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CannonQ

CannonQ New Member

You have lots of potential if that's your first with no training.
    Check out anglers artistry web site , and any of their videos. Rick Krane is an excellent teacher, and his videos are filled with the most modern techniques. Best of luck.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. CannonQ

CannonQ New Member

You have lots of potential if that's your first with no training.
    Check out anglers artistry web site , and any of their videos. Rick Krane is an excellent teacher, and his videos are filled with the most modern techniques. Best of luck.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. Matt

Matt Active Member

I agree that's a great start, and you picked a tough one to start off with, they are a greasy fish. Rick Krane is a very talented artist and his videos will definitely help you.

5. Thank you guys! I appreciate you taking the time to reply! Any ideas what fish to try next so I can keep my fishing buddies thinking on it and keeping me one? I'm thinking my carp, gar, or suckers wouldn't be best to try next I can't seem to find bodies for them?? But bowfishing is about all the fishing I do... So I would have as many as I wanted to try....

So suggestions on a fish to try would be great and ill use Ricks videos.

Also I can take it so tell if something stands out that needs the most work on this mount please don't hesitate to point out the faults. I see the shrinkage but as far as paint job where did I go wrong? The spots seem to be a great challenge to me. They still look like painted on spots and I didn't know how to get past that? As far as scale tipping, pearls and shimmers how did I do. Honesty is great cause ill improve from it.

Thank you for all input. I really strive to grow in taxidermy!

6. barend

barend Member

Hi, there. Ben here. I'm still very new to fish taxidermy aswell and got the greasy ones to work on aswell, but that said i feel that for me it's better to start on them and learn from my mistakes on the tough ones.

You were asking about a fish to start on, i was told by another member on the forum to start with something easier than trout. In my situation the "easiest" fish to start on was a perch.

Many taxidermists on here might disagree with that, but like i said that was the easiest fish for me to begin with.

With regards to Rick's dvd's, he's a superb teacher, fantastic artistic ability and even one of the very rare nice people you can speak to about taxidermy. He's always been good and helpful towards me. Great person. You will not be disappointed if you choose to use his products.

Regards,

Ben