1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Biggest hide you've had to tan

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Andrew M, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Just thought it be fun to see what the biggest hide you guys have worked with? Right now I'm doing the back half of black wildebeest. Gosh that thing is hard to shave. In some spots it's Almost half inch thick! I've got Dakota v and it's doing over time to keep up. How about you guys? What's the biggest hide you've worked on?

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

2. I prepped it, North Idaho Furdressers tanned it... Measured 80 square feet, Brown swiss steer. Biggest thing I've personally shaved was bison flat(about 40 sq ft). Cow bison are easy, bull bison suck and horses are fiddly.

[​IMG]

3. Wow. That hide is huge!! How thick do buffalo skins get before shaving?

Sent from my iPod touch using Ohub Campfire

4. Big bulls can be better than an inch... especially on the face/upper neck.

5. That's thick. I have noticed that the neck area is thicker. Why is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

6. Defense. Protects the animal from horns/antlers while fighting.

7. oh thats why. makes sense

8. Fourteen feet and three inch eleven hundred and fifty pound ALLIGATOR! Static tanned.
    DC

9. 11'2" squared brown bear. The hide weighed 212 lbs. with skull removed and feet still in it. I had to pack it about a quarter mile to a spot I could land a cub and get it out of there.

(Fleshing was the easy part after that!)

10. man thats a big bear

11. Last winter a guy brought me a full black angus cow hide and wanted it made into raw hide. That was a job. It took up two full sized 8ft sheets of plywood

12. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

A huge bull bison. Had the damdest time folding it and crating to ship it out to the tannery. Took the whole surface area of a skid. Now that was work...lol ;) ;)

13. thats sounds like a piece of work! seems like bison give a heck of a lot of trouble.

14. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I have a serious question: Unless your screen name happens to end in "Tannery", why on God's green earth would you ever consider doing anything bigger than a whitetail cape?

15. are you asking me or the others?

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

If the shoe fits............................ Old guys tend to learn late that they might have been healthier had they made wiser decisions earlier. I just had major back surgery because of my ego being stronger than my mentality. Big hides should be done by businesses who have means of mechanical versus physical advantages.

17. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    Amen!

18. duxdown

duxdown New Member

I am certainly not as old as George lol, sorry buddy.
    I had that I'm tough attitude and it served me well I suppose. I was a force to be reckoned with at one time. I would put to full sized welding oxygen cylinders on my shoulders by my self and walk off and tell the men that I worked with they were female parts. But you know I have had 2 knee surgeries and have neck issues. I am afraid to even get a mri. Hands fall asleep and shoulders are jacked up. I have trouble shaving more than one cape at a time as my hands fall asleep. If it's to big get help. I flashed and salted a big buffalo earlier this year and it wore me out. I can't even imagine trying to shave it on my shaver.

19. i agree with you George and duxdown. hides should be tanned by people who know what they are doing! I mainly tan smaller animals and occasionally deer capes. the wildebeest was a gift from a Taxidermy Unlimited. (i don't know if that means anything or not to you guys) i probably wouldn't do anything bigger then a deer cape or a small bear. things that big definitely cause a lot of strain. and I'm only 15! I really appreciate your advice George and duxdown!!!

20. Asiatic water buffalo cape , starting weight was 48 kg, green unsalted ????? when wet, finished weight was 7.5 kg damp, and why did I do it ? because i'm 1 of the few in Australia who do . It was shaved bit by bit over 2 weeks.