1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lower lip on Whitetail Question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by 8Point, Jun 21, 2014.

1. 8Point

8Point Member

I've looked through tutorials and been reading posts for some time now but haven't found anything much on the lower lip. This seems to be an area overlooked on many mounts I've seen. Can anyone point me to an existing thread or give their own advice on:
    1. How much to show?
    2. How thick it should be?
    3. How to pin it in place?
    4. Any other advice....

This is an area where I need help on.... Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!!!

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    The first 2 answers= Match your references. 3. Some put a roll of clay in and tuck to match references and some over tuck and rebuild with apoxie, to match references. The common denominator=reference, reference, reference.

3. Deer don't always show their bottom lip either. Just get a couple good reference photos and start trying to duplicate. I use apoxie because sometimes the bottom lip is really hard to split.

4. 8Point

8Point Member

I to have noticed that they don't always show bottom lip.....yet everyone seems to put it back in.....

5. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

7. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Having raised deer for over 20 years, I've found that the lip issue is, and always has been, a real puzzle. It can be SO variable. I had deer where you could almost always see it, just like much of the reference shows, and others NEVER had a lip that showed. George is right about the teeth and that is should show, but they sure did something that made it less obvious. Personally, I think it should show, at least a little.....just because deer without it look dumb IMHO.

I seldom use clay, I prefer epoxy putty. When I get it the way I want it, I super glue it in place instead of using pins. I just never found any way of pinning that I didn't have pin holes to repair, so that's my preference.

8. Justin2011

Justin2011 New Member

When I tuck the bottom lip I over tuck it a bit because when it dries it pull a little, then I take two really small pins and push them in where I want the bottom to stop. The bottom lip should never be wider then the nose pad.

Attached Files:

9. Diesel_19

Diesel_19 New Member

[​IMG]
    Almost no lip but there is stil a little bit showing

10. 8Point

8Point Member

Wow. I didn't realize now much variation there would be in opinion and preference on the topic but it sounds like the "typical", deer does show a bottom lip...... I wonder if the topic is similar to showing whites of eyes and how much to show, et. That's a different topic that I'm sure has been debated over and over. Either way thanks for input on the lower lip....I appreciate any more anyone has to add!!!!

11. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Great pic Diesel, thanks