1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Northern vs. Southern Capes

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by crig, Jun 23, 2014.

1. crig

crig Member

Maybe this has been discussed before and maybe this is a dumb question. What is the difference (if any) between a " southern" deer cape vs. a "northern" deer cape. Is there enough to tell the difference when having to replace a big cape. I have a big deer 22-24" tight behind the ears that was killed in alabama and needs a new cape. I have found one that i am interested in from a up north but i am not sure they would look the same. Thanks for your input and advice in advance.

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I would gather to say the hair length. Up here by beginning to mid October the winter hair comes in and by November its a full coat which will make a 22-24 inch neck look much bigger then it is.

3. double barrel

double barrel New Member

Yes, listen to paul. Get a southern cape for that deer.

4. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

There are huge differences in just the state of Illinois alone. I mount several deer from the southern part and dozens from the northern part every year. They are very different. The southern Il ones tend more often to be double throat patched, and lighter covered overall. They are also and much thinner haired. Even in winter. A;to of the alabama deer I have seen have a distinct dark stripe on the nose and dark forehead patches. I would look for a local replacement.

5. Huge difference. Might be a hard cape to find but I would try to find a southern cape.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Generalizations like that are always incorrect. SOME might show that, but there are exceptions to everything. I can hardly see how a distance of 200 miles for a northern tier state would have anything like that. SOME Southern deer do have darker colorations but not all of them. Swamp deer tend to be darker due to evolution to their surroundings (it's called "Gloger's Rule"), but open land and flat land deer look about the same as other whitetails. Deer from colder climates tend to have shorter ears, tails and legs (that's Allen's Rule). Colder climate deer tend to be heavier bodied than their warmer relatives (that's Bergman's Rule).

7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Southern deer and other mammals have hair, northern deer and other animals have fur. What I consider true northern capes take up twice the freezer space as southern deer. I think you need to find a southern cape for your deer.

8. George I had to Google that. I read it but yet disagree with it some what. Maybe just the use of the word swamp . I get a lot of deer from south La. out of the swamps. Ever single one of them are lighter color than the deer in northern la. The hair is course very course compared to ours. The antlers tend to be darker color than any others except texas.
    I dont know maybe its just a la. swamp deer thing.

9. crig

crig Member

thank each of you for your input and insight i think i will continue to look for a "southern" cape

10. 200 miles can make a difference. I live in Northern Arkansas, go 200 miles north in Missouri and you have deer with fur, goe 200 miles to south Arknasas and the hair on deer is a lot shorter.

11. gab

gab Active Member

lots of color differences I see reddish,gray and brown from different areas.

12. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

George, most of the time I agree with you or at least can understand your view on things, but on this I have to argue. From the Ogle county farm ground, where I am, to the Shawnee National forest, where several of my customers hunt, is actually roughly 330 miles straight north-south according to google earth. Thats substantial. I also have a BS degree in Wildlife Management and Zoology, while that by no means makes me an expert it does mean I am familiar with Gloger's, Allen's, and Bergman's rule. The capes from home are vastly different than the ones I get from southern Il. I didn't make any statements in previous post that said always, or never. I said tend to be, and a lot of. I stand by my statement. And by the way the average mature buck shot in the Shawnee field dresses out at about 150 lbs. We regularly get them at home to dress out 210+. That brings all the phenotypic rules into play, and it would be foolish to think there would be no difference in hair color, length, and color patterns, when obviously they have so many other physical differences. All I can comment on is what I see first hand. And they are different. Think of what would be 330 miles south of you and tell me the deer look the same.

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I didn't realize the distance was that far. Many variables apply. The Delmarva has the only northern tier deer south of Pennsylvania, but they were transplanted here. I'll defer on my original opinion.

14. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

I was wanting to start a thread on regional differences in capes, but looks like a similar question came up here. The local deer I've gotten in are very brown and have long hair. The antlers often have a similar shape too. But I've ordered capes from various sellers and have had some that are much lighter grey/tan and some that are reddish (but not early season). I was curious whether there were any general "rules" about what capes from certain areas tend to look like, or if the differences have more to do with age or individual deer. I definitely know that our northern deer have crazy long hair as soon as colder weather comes around, haha.

15. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

Both of these deer are November kills from Louisiana. The first is from the coastal marshes. The orange/blonde coloring and long hair is typical of the deer in the marsh. The second is from an area about 80 miles north that is primarily pine woods. Major color differences and length of hair. I think the habitat, diet and environmental conditions directly affect the hide.[​IMG]

16. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

[​IMG]

17. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Hunted the same farm for 30 years , seen or taken deer ; colored from dark to light . :)

18. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

There is a HUGE flaw in the slaw! The deer down south as well as some Northern states are mixed breeds. During the Great depression many deer herds were nearly decimated. I know that the State of South Carolina restocked a large number of their herd with deer from New York, Pennsylvania, and Illinois. Who knows what the deer would look like if they had never been tampered with? I hope you don't really believe all of the under the radar imported monster deer are staying put either. It's not man's nature to leave things alone. I'm sure there are still pockets of fairly pure strains scattered Nation wide.

19. capnmike

capnmike New Member

There are so many different deer within an hour of my house it's silly. From Orlando you can go an hour and a half south and the deer rut in august. Over on the coast an hour to the east the rut is in september. Come inland twenty minutes it's in October. Go north 30 minutes it's closer to the first of November. Go west 30 minutes and the rut is in February. All of these deer have pretty distinctive differences. Especially the ones that rut in February.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

20. Crig, Find a local cape,your better off.

Goerge, First i find your wisdom on all things in nature second to none, However, Next time your in the Blackhills of south dakota,look me up.

The whitetail around Mount Rushmore itself are very small in facial features and girth,25 miles west they are much bigger bodied but still maintain the narrow
    facial features. 30 miles east, well, they look like the whitetails everyone else sees.

come on out George, we'll take a field trip,if i don't have enough proof in the freezer. Again,i mean absolutely no disrespect to George. I just know in a few
    small regions in the country there can be some phenomenal differences in the deer herds

Dave.