1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what turkey form

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by redskinfan, Jun 25, 2014.

1. redskinfan

redskinfan New Member

The turkey skins I bought came with legs cut off, no bones attached. What would be the best forms to use? Was looking at bad boy forms to make use of the drumsticks that I could also get. Also, the legs look pretty dried when I rewrapped them in double trash bags and put back in freezer. Is there something I should do to them now? Is there something to prevent them from drying up any more? Don't know how long the seller had them in freezer, may not be a problem when thawed, just don't want to go to mount and have unusable legs. Thanks, TIM

2. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

no bones??? lower, upper ?? Is the scaly portion of the foot,leg there? Any form can be used ,you wrap ,carve,etc. the ''drumstick'' part over a heavy wire OR buy a cast set of legs. The skin can be soaked up in warm water and Dawn before fleshing .This will soften and put stretch back into the skin. The main concern is body size ,as the leg sizes varies little.Don't let it set a long time in the water ,just enough to begin to get some stiffness out . The lower leg skin is the toughest part of the whole skin but go easy when relaxing them.

3. redskinfan

redskinfan New Member

Thigh bone missing. Cut off at knee at feather/skin junction. Should i do something now with feet, and then refreeze?

4. Carey Cochoran of Buckeye Mannikins in the McKenzie catalog makes a good turkey form with drumsticks, I would suggest a flying mount would be easiest but i have used the standing ones on a couple of mounts. Anyone with an old Buckeye Catalog has directions on how to use them, sever feet and run threaded rod and attach legs and dry (even paint) before mounting the skin. They will cost a little more but for those missing the thigh bones worth it.

5. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

I remove the thigh bone (which is really the shin bone) on 90% of my mounts.