1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Does everyone paint their noses?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Slate Run, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Slate Run

Slate Run Member

Just wondering if everyone paints their noses on their deer heads? I have a mount ready to finish. I put modge podge on the nose to create the nodules and then put a light coat on the whole nose once the nodules are dry and I noticed that once dry the nose looks pretty good. It has good color and the rosettes show real good. Seems like when I paint them they look to black or dark even though I use hardly any black at all and you don't see the rosettes like I would like to see. The only thing missing on the modge podge nose is the fleshy look on the lower part of the nose and lower lip.. Could I get by with just clearing over the modge podge or will it discolor over time. Any input on this would be appreciated.

2. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

I always paint mine...post and pic and let's see what you got.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

3. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

Paint it. Then its permanent and you know what you have. I have redone a couple from a nearby taxi that just clear coats the nose. They do fade and turn ashy looking over time.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Try painting first.

5. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

the taxidermist who influenced me on WT most taught to not paint them. Paint them enough to blend the area but that's all. Clear lacquer first, then Mod Podge, Then clear lacquer again.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Jim, you know I've given up most, if not all, of what I was taught by those early practitioners. Perhaps at their time, they were right, but today, we'd speak badly about their work in comparison to what's out there.

When skin is turned into leather, little if any of the natural colors remain. If I asked you if you painted a fish after it was mounted, what would you say? When a person dies, the morticians inject a colored dye into the veins to recreate lividity. Have you ever seen a corpse without makeup or pink skin. If it can't be colored in some way, it's covered to the point of "closed casket". YES, PAINT IT. You don't need to get heavy handed and even do as Jim suggests about blending colors, but to recreate lividity in that animal, it's going to require adding pink and white and brown and black.

7. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

Try painting a medium coat of white on the nose first. spray a flesh color on the lower third of the pad making sure to get coverage down in the lowest crevices between the nodules. Then apply the final color. I like the polytranspar color "Yox Nose Pad Gray #34". Or you can mix a dark charcoal by adding a few drops of white to your black. If you spray the lower third at a severe angel, you will leave the flesh color in the crevices and get that fleshy look of a live deer. Having a light base allows you to apply the correct color and end up with an accurate nose that is not too dark. Always paint light coats to avoid that "painted" look.

8. Slate Run

Slate Run Member

Thanks everyone for you input. I figured it would discolor over time but I thought I'd ask anyway. Guess I will paint as usual.

9. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I spray some dark blueish gray over it after the Mod Podge is done. Then I spray some flesh over it and then wipe it off the high spots leaving it in the crevices. Then I overcoat it all with a coat of Mod Podge again. If it needs another coat of Mod Podge I go back over it once more. I hate a dry, ashy looking nosepad.

10. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Always paint or air brush as life like , you will be happy . ;D

11. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Compare the dried, dead skin look on your mount to several close up reference photos of live deer. Unless you are blind, you will quickly recognize that it looks like crap. That should be all of the information you need to make the right decision. If you just don't care, send it out the door and forget about it.

12. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

X2! Fugettaboutit, Love it ;)

13. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

The key to retaining the rosettes are to follow Denton Sherin's advice, and as he stated, spray lightly from the side, at an angle, not straight on. The grey/black will not cover over the rosettes, leaving them noticeably visable.

14. Slate Run

Slate Run Member

Thanks everyone. I do paint mine and will paint this one . Was just wondering if anyone out there that doesn't paint them. Figured the skin would discolor and look like crap but had to ask anyway. Was always told when I was younger if you don't ask questions you won't learn anything.

15. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Or just go back after painting and rub the rosettes with a small brush, just like any other haired area yolu want paint on the skin but not the hair.

16. Matt

Matt Active Member

It's more technique than paint. This nose have virtually no paint, just enough to be convincing.

Attached Files:

17. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Very convincing Matt. Is there a photo of the whole nose?
    Best, Scott

18. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Nodules and bumps are cool looking and needed for competition. But..most if not all reference pics I took at joe meders pen showed more flat and wet noses that look almost identical to the close up pics that Steve Klee shows on his mounts. Joe has some super nose pics for free on his website. But yes, they need painted for sure!

19. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I don't own an airbrush, so I've relied mostly on shoe polish and a good buffing. Then PLEDGE for a deep shine. Gives it that competition wet look.

20. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Coca Cola and Bisquick may work as well.