1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Boone and Crockett bull frog...

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by DogSoldierChick, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Just thought I'd ask if people mount bull frogs... We eat this one but as big as it was I was curious. Would it be repo or could you actually skin mount one?

[​IMG]

2. smittys llc

smittys llc New Member

WOW! That's something you sure don't see everyday! ;) Easily a BOONER!!!

3. duxdown

duxdown New Member

DSC I miss the old days when those biggen's were common. Danged Blue Herrons!!

4. buckshot541

buckshot541 New Member

Dam I love me some frog legs! Its been a long time though now that I live near Seattle. :(

5. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

I skin mount a dozen a year and charge a good penny for them. Very easy to mount paint etc... Great money maker

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. Cool! Do you buy the forms or make your own? Got any pics! Very interesting!

7. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I wanna see too!

Brooke

8. Rizzo

Rizzo Member

Is there a tutorial would love to learn how

9. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

I skin all bullfrog through the mouth 100%. There is not a single hole in it and be sure to not put holes in it because they are a pain to fix! I tan them just like I do fish in A mixture of denatured alcohol dry preservative water and a degreaser... Or you can buy simple fish tan.
    Now you have what is a waterproof skin you can literally "stuff" the frog with anything. I've seen taxidermist use cotton, clay, bondo, etc...
    The method I was taught 10 years ago was pouring plaster of Paris down the throat and shape it quickly as it dries. If you don't get it right you can take it right out.
    Now I started wrapping legs and wiring them. And filling rest of body with polyurethane and shaping it quickly as it dries. It is much more lite than a solid plaster frog.
    You could always carve a form from the body when you pull it out through the mouth as well. Regardless any method you use is simple and no more than a 2 hour job start to finish.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

10. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Interesting Kurt will have to give that a go.

11. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

12. Wow that's cool!! Ill have to try it! Thank you!