1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What to know before getting started being a trapper

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by bonus41, Jun 28, 2014.

1. bonus41

bonus41 Member

I graduated from high school this year and I'm so pleased but now I'm getting to be bored and have no idea what to do, a job also isn't a option right now as all the students are looking for work and we have a very small community of 7000 people...

I heard on the radio there looking for more members of the trapping council here, it really got me thinking. I collect taxidermy peices and pelts, and the idea of actually getting my own foxes and critters makes me happy since I know where they came from and how they died.

So I'm thinking of joining in September becuase I'll officially be 18 and I'll qualify for the 'adult' traper liecense and any other liecenses I will need to legally trap my own.

The council will go over how to set up a trap, where to set it up, and killing the anima...

I never hunted in my life, and I don't know what trap would be best for me? Lots of People here use snares but in think it would be damaging to the fur?

I want to get an idea of start up costs and tips.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

What are your long range plans past catching an animal? Nursing? Medical field? Wife of a rich man or a trappers wife?

3. bonus41

bonus41 Member

Just for hobby and taxidermy, not really to make money just to mount them for myself, and meat

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

You tube has trapping videos, hours of lessons there.

5. NJTrapper

NJTrapper Member

I have never heard of a trapping council, are you on some type of reservation? Most states require you to take a certified trapping test, provided by the state. Also, depending on your state, will determine what types of traps you are allowed to use. Try getting a hold of your states trappers association, they could probably help. In fact, they may be the ones issuing the test. Good luck!

6. bonus41

bonus41 Member

I live in a very small town in ontario canada... Here is the council's website.

http://www.drydentrappers.ca

I have to grab my fishing license which is a little test of 10 questions. I was hoping to get my trappers license at the same time

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yes jump on youtube and you can watch a ton of videos. You will hear many recommendations on trap sizes and brands, this is a place to start. Good traps aren't cheap, so buy what you can afford and as you catch fur, trade up for better traps, or do what I do, keep the old in the rotation, just add new and better ones to them.

8. Dan

Dan One Year Old Already!

Traps and equipment are going to largely depend on what you want to catch an also the regulations of Ontario. One great resource for information is Trapperman.com. I think it is the equivalent of taxidermy.net for trapping. If you have a question, the answer is probably there. Good luck.

9. bonus41

bonus41 Member

I just tried to join Trapperman.com but I got denied becuase aparently I was an Anti-trapper? So I guess I have to find a different forum XD