1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My first Bass

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Amberjack, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Amberjack

Amberjack New Member

Hi this is my first work.. I have done some work but this seems to be good. Two photo, before and after finishing.
    Please critique

Attached Files:

2. This is just my opinion but it looks like this fish wasn't painted, other than that I do like the splash scene

3. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

There is a lot wrong with that fish, color or the lack there of. Eye color is not for a largemouth, i agree with Lonewolf 8126 it looks dead, no color except whites blacks and greys.

4. kosterman

kosterman New Member

That is a cool base.

5. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

Its a good start, should've seen my first ;). Did you paint it? I agree, you need more color. And the eye, is that silver ?? Chk out google images and search bass eyes...mostly brown's not silver.

6. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

X2.....but you DID put forth the effort to complete it so good for you. Practice and effort you will get better. Study reference and get some visual help like a Breakthrough manual or other videos/CD's out there. Good luck.....

7. HunterStrait

HunterStrait New Member

I agree with what the guys say, but its good for a first bass. And even though it doesn't have that bass color to it, it looks unique and rouge. ;)

8. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Picture 2 n 3 look the same
    Picture 1 looks like a different fish to me
    Gills hanging lower
    Something else just does not line up

Needs allot of work, but for a first you are off to a great start,
    You can improve from here
    Carl

9. Looks good for your first fish, though I'd say you've chosen a very challenging composition with the splash and pose, more suited for an experienced taxidermist in my humble opinion. Stick with it, you've obviously got potential, one day you'll look back and realise how much you've improved. Much better than my first, after 6 months of grease bleed and shrivelling my first mount got turned into a base ball bat that the kids used in the back yard till it broke up . ;D ;)

10. your fish definitely looks better than my first. I painted my first fish with a paint brush and testor's model paint...LOL :eek:

Keep at it and you'll you fine...just remember to get good reference photos.

11. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Everything that is wrong with everyone's first fish is wrong on that one. Be proud, but be realistic to your shortcomings.

Shrinkage everywhere, head droop, mouth open too wide, eye set too deep and badly, bad fin sets and positions, paint job weak, grease bleed already in head areas.
    Not trying to be an ass, just trying to help. I myself look very critically at my own stuff and yet to be 100% happy with any mount I have ever done out of 1000's.

That gloss looks good, what did you use?

12. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Same fish but looks to have added the gills in the finishing process...........