1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fox Tail Smell

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ArachnoStuffs, Jul 1, 2014.

1. ArachnoStuffs

ArachnoStuffs New Member

I got 3 fox tails off an old shawl and they have a slight smell to them. The shawl was in HORRIBLE condition when I received it, but the tails are fine other than being a little old. They have a bad "dusty and old house" smell to them. What can I do to help them? I'm a little afraid to wash them because of the leather.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Why didn't you buy fresh tails? Old skins only get better when you use lighter fluid and a match.

3. Eh, old shawls and shoulder wraps can disintegrate if you get them wet. I have one myself; the fur looks great hung up, but the leather actually will fall apart in your hands (dry) if you tug it a little. Never would have paid money for it; it was a gift.

It might just be an issue of being stuck with it, or trying to clean it while knowing that doing so could result in its destruction.

I would either scrap them or leave them as-is. Maybe cautiously spray some Febreze on the fur without letting it get to the skin. They probably are no longer wearable safely and could be used for a haunted house setup.