1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shipping capes from Africa - USDA Taxidermists?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Terrys Artistic Taxidermy, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Terrys Artistic Taxidermy

Terrys Artistic Taxidermy Fishing in Chernoble

Hello,
    How does someone ship their capes from S. Africa? A friend was hunting there and is trying to get his stuff to Hawaii. He said they told him that it must be shipped to a USDA Taxidermist. The skins were tanned there. Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Terry

2. If the skins were tanned then they can ship directly to him, uness they contain ship Dip and Pack unfinished swine or primate.

Contact Tammie at Coppersmiths in Atlanta.

3. Why try and fight it,have them shipped to a usda taxidermist.You will need a broker to clear customs anyway ,so find a taxidermist.Are you going to do the mounting?The reason for the usda taxidermist is because all tanning in africa may not be complete,and the goverment wants to have them accepted by someone who is knowledgeable about treating hide on this side of the world.This is from my experiences,I do not have my hides tanned over there.I have them clear customs then have them shipped to a tannery.They are better equiped to handle the hides than I am.