1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question about starting wholesale bird work

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by brian k, Jul 8, 2014.

1. brian k

brian k New Member

Ive been getting a lot of inquiries about doing wholesale bird work. My question is whats the best way to do it. Is there certain wording to but on forms do you take a deposit for waterfowl? Any help would be great my website is bktaxidermy.com . thank you for your time.

Brian

2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

Be sure first of all that all specimens are properly tagged.You would be surprised at how many taxidermists send untagged birds.Also being in Minnesota, the state taxidermy rules state ALL wild animals to be tagged...this means everything from butterflies,frogs,crawfish.....even though their state does not require tags on something they must be made aware they are shipping over state lines and you need them tagged.
    Next be specific in your pricing, by species ,pose ,and any extras,such as artificial or real bills,painting,eyelid work, and flat base or driftwood,rock, etc.
    Last be specific on shipping instructions and prices,such as freezing,wrapping,packing,shipping,notificaton,and return shipping with packing,box fees,packing materials,like tape,labels,peanuts you need to figure all these costs in your production fees to make it worthwhile for you and your customer
    As far as payment treat it like any of your retail customers...100 % down on waterfowl before starting mount, and others payment in full before return shipping .you can figure rough estimate and refund or credit diference.
    Be prepared to handle a lot of bloody wet birds that may need to be skun and boraxed when they arrive,so be in contact and know when birds are shipped and be prepared to deal with them upon arrival,wholoesaling is not for everyone,try a few and see how things go before going whole-hog

3. Great reply...well done!

4. kyle916

kyle916 New Member

y'all fell for this guys shamless plug of his website I think. take a look. looks like a full on working taxi guy to me.