1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ram Horns

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by tmpatton22, Jul 11, 2014.

1. I have talked to a couple of different people and I have gotten conflicting information. A friend of mine wants me to mount his Corsican Ram. The question that I have is what is the best way to clean out the material from inside the horns. I was thinking of shipping it somewhere that uses beetles to do skull mounts but I wanted to get some more input first. I am based out of Ohio if any of you know of a place in that general area. Thank you for your time.

2. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Rott the horns off in a garbage bag. After rotting until the horns feel a bit loose, drop them on a concrete floor and they will pop off. Simmer the skull plate. (Cut the ends of the cores off before simmering)

A

3. how long does it take to rot them off? Does it need to be done outside Im guessing? Is this the method you use?

4. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Time varies, check every couple days. Keep out of reach of animals. Rot is the key word, don't keep them inside!

5. jbconnected

jbconnected Member

I do not put any horned animals in my Beatles. They can damage some of the sheaths, so I don't chance it.

6. Ok everyone. Thanks for the advice I'll let you know how it turns out

7. I just did 3 Rams. I put them in bags, set them in my shed for 2 weeks. Smelly yep, but the horns came right off. Simmered the skulls in dawn dish soap and Baking soda for a couple hours. Done deal.
    Jim