1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

NEW Illinois state record smallmouth bass

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by dougp, Jul 12, 2014.

1. dougp

dougp Active Member

A new Illinois state record smallmouth was certified by the DNR just yesterday. The fish came from a shoreline fisherman off Chicago fishing a "gulp" on a dropshot. The fish weighed 8lbs 9oz. breaking the old record of 6lbs. 7oz. by over 2 lbs. The fish was caught in May this year.

There is more to the story......I'll post a pic as soon as I can. My 'puter is down and I'm posting this from my wifes machine.
    This is going to be an interesting story...... ;)

The DNR hasn't done their press release yet and I promised to hold off a bit on discussing it except for this info here.

DougP

2. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing this brute. I love that you don't always need the fancy big dollar rig to catch nice fish.
    Best, Scott

3. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I find it hard to believe that the old state record was that small.

4. dougp

dougp Active Member

M.T......that old record was probably broken many times in recent years but all the anglers released those fish and no application was made for a C&R record so they were never able to be cerified.

5. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

That record is sure going to stand for years, 2lbs more than the current record, that's amazing.

6. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

I can't wait to see the pictures.

7. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Doug (I mis-read originally) this is a C&R State Record? Illinois carries two separate categories for State Records?? You know which one I believe has much more meaning! What is the criteria in Illinois these days for each? You seem to be the man here!

FYI MT, as Doug mentioned that State Record has probably been broken a few times here. I personally know somebody that released a 7 1/2 pounder back in 2001. And, supposedly in a small river by my house here, just north of me another 7.5 pounder has been caught and released by a couple of fishermen...

8. dougp

dougp Active Member

My understanding is this is NOT a C&R record. This is the all tackle state record which replaces the 6lb. 7oz. past record. The DNR has not yet released their official statement to the press. Should be out any time now.

9. dougp

dougp Active Member

Hmmmm....seems that the fish may not be certified yet as I was told by a DNR official.....stay tuned.

10. dougp

dougp Active Member

Here's where the story is as of today........http://www.suntimes.com/sports/outdoors/28684551-452/heres-a-fish-story-for-you.html

Attached Files:

11. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

Looks like a typical 4 lb smallie to me

12. 1fish2fish

So,
    Are you doing the replica Doug?

Thanks for sharing.

Best, Scott

13. dougp

dougp Active Member

I'm doing a replica from LCR for him.........he wants the 8.5lb. 24x18.5 premier :)

14. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

That blank is actually 13.7 pounds - lol!

15. What a bummer that it went to waste :(. I'm sure you've used that LCR blank before, Doug. The thing that drives me nuts about that blank is how high the fin butts come off the body and how much has to be ground off the front to get the head to sit properly... On that note, once you grind down the location for head attachment and get it seated properly with the throat latch in it's appropriate place, that blank is really only about 22 1/2 inches.... On the other hand, if you order it paint-ready (don't get me started on what they consider paint-ready), it does indeed go about 24... but that's only because the head is WAY too far forward. Here's a photo where you can see the extreme length of the ventral fin juncture and notice the 1 1/2 inch gap between where the throat latch is and where is should be... this was a paint-ready blank. Also, the paint job is of the commercial variety for display at a sports store, nothing fancy.

[​IMG]

16. 1fish2fish

You've got a great photo to work from Doug, look forward to seeing the results. Too bad you didn't get the fish in good condition.

Thanks for the heads up on the blank outdoorzman, we should really keep up the unofficial replica thread with this kind of stuff. BTW, nice mount.

Best, Scott

17. dougp

dougp Active Member

outdoorzman...no, I've never used that blank before. I appreciate the heads up on that. Yours looks very nice!

This whole thing is a real mess......too bad. :(

I guess we're still lookin' to beat 6lbs. 7oz.

I'd be interested in any other quality smallie blanks in the 8lb.+ class if anyone knows of one.

Yeah Scott the pic is nice.............for color and markings.

18. 1fish2fish

AP advertises 8lb 4 oz and 8lb 6oz smallies. The only ones of that class I've seen outside LCR. I don't know about Ron Reynolds blanks. Maybe someone has something good in their private stock. I'm sure you'll work miracles with whatever you use.
    Best, Scott

19. Gary Bruch molded a 22 x 18 - 8 lb'er that I have used a couple times. Kenny Carnahan (Natural Cast) had the mold last I knew. Have also used the Lake Country blank mentioned a couple times and I think it's very close to the size you are looking for. PM also sent.

Attached Files:

20. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Ive used the one from Kenny @ natural cast also. This one was done about 4 years ago. Not nearly as nice of a job as Kevin's but it worked.

Jimmy

Attached Files:

• 516.JPG
      516.JPG
      File size:
      111.2 KB
      Views: