1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fixing an old pronghorn mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by balsamln, Jul 14, 2014.

1. balsamln

balsamln New Member

WI
    Is there any way to keep an old pronghorn mount (50 + years old) from losing more hair? Apparently the pronghorn is an heirloom and the family does not want to put a new cape on it. The family wants it cleaned and touched up, but I really don't want to touch the thing if hair keeps falling off. Thanks for any advice.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

New cape is the only way. The family is dreaming. Old skins do not get better with age, they only get closer to the expiration date. If you did find a way to clean it, it would still be 50+ years old. As it is now, losing hair says dumpster all the way. Tell the family in a nice way to crack the wallet.

3. balsamln

balsamln New Member

WI
    Thanks Low T. I think I will break it to the lady the next time I see her in church. She is less likely to start cussing at me there...I think :)

4. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

I know this will probably not work but if they are determined to keep the original it might be worth a try. I'd take it outside and spray the heck out of it with a good, firm hold Hair spray.

5. Maybe convince them to get a new cape, and keep a small piece of the original cape to be mounted in a shadowbox where it won't be touched? It could hang under the mount..