1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How hot is too hot for drying?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by ada2453, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Hello, It's been over a 100 degrees here in Idaho for the last week with no end in sight. I work in my garage which feels at least as hot as outside. I'm wondering if I should hold off till it cools down a little to do anymore mounts or is it OK to go ahead? I'm afraid they will dry to fast. Any thoughts?

2. 8Point

8Point New Member

I've wondered that to..... Can't wait to hear from everyone.....

3. You will want to watch for mold too I just purchased a dehumidifer a few months ago and my shop feels a lot different, even dried mounts will start to sweat and mold just keep an eye out for it

4. capnmike

capnmike New Member

Depends on humidity. My mounts dry faster in cooler weather due to the humidity being lower. If the humidity is high as it is here in Florida you need to worry about them drying too slow and getting mold. I keep a fan running non stop and plug a dehumidifier at night and everything goes smooth. My dehumidifier pulls about a gallon out every two hours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

5. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    If its 100 deg in your work area u will have to sleep in there and baby sit it. It will dry in one day and will pull from everywhere as it dries too fast. I have a Lil 14x16 shop with a small window AC which cools it down to about 68 deg. And still at that temp my mounts wanna dry in 2 days even if I mist them down. Dry heat here in NM.

6. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Shouldn't have to worry about mold in Idaho. Bag them over night and check them several times a day while ya work. They'll be fine.

7. Thanks for the help I appreciate it!

8. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Opinions vary with everyone you ask. I used to drag out the drying and believed it helped control shrinkage. Now I'm not so sure. Some of by best work is dry in 3-4 days with no drumming and minimal shrinking. There is no correct answer because of all of the variables such as form selection, skin prep and thickness, tan, hide paste, how wet the skin is, temperature and humidity.

9. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

That is what I did Rick. Mounted a customers deer last Saturday for a show this past weekend. Put fan on it Monday to Wednesday, finished Wed. night, painted on Thursday, on base and in show Friday. Dry as a bone and very little shrinkage. Did very well with the mount also. It was hot and humid all that week .

10. I appreciate the help!