1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dirk Claesen passed away

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Grandullón, Jul 15, 2014.

1. One of our great artists, Dirk Claesen, passed away yesterday morning. Most of you may remember him as the 2008 World Champion in the reproductions division, where he won gold with his life size white rhino replica. His workshop, Zephyr´s Lodge, also produced the life size sperm whale replica that was used in an art project on the banks of the river Thames in the UK last year. He was an amazing sculptor and had an overwhelming knowledge, both scientific and artistic, that he shared enthusiastically with everybody. But most of all he was a warm and giving man who has inspired so many of us. He was one of these people that make a difference. Rest in peace, my friend.

2. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

I learnt of this sad news this morning on facebook.
    a great guy, what a great talent, what a shame. He could tell stories of his experiences in the field of taxidermy that made you laugh till you cried.
    rest in peace and my condolensces to his family

link in Dutch:

http://www.hbvl.be/cnt/dmf20140715_01179513/limburgse-kunstenaar-dirk-claesen-50-overleden?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_term=hbvl&utm_content=article&utm_campaign=seeding

3. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

I was taken back when I read this today. What a gifted artist and a true master creator of beauty! I hoped to open day meet though our friends in France so I send to the family and friends of this wonderful man my prayers and thoughts of comfort that no more suffering. God Speed

Rick Krane

4. Skua

Skua Member

Very sad news

5. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Sad news indeed. He was such a talented artist. Here is his World Champion rhino reproduction from the 2008 World Taxidermy Championships®.

6. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

he was truly a master in every sense of the word...very sad news...very few people could do what he did

7. stuffa1

stuffa1 Member

One of the worlds good guys.
    Amazing artist and taxidermist who inspired so many people.

RIP dirk and my condolences to his family you will be missed by me and so many others.

Simon the Stuffa

Attached Files:

8. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Very sad news. Prayers and thoughts are with his family and friends. Dan

9. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

My condolences to the family. Sad news to hear, prayers sent.

Todd B

10. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this sad news.

11. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

Condolences to his family and friends.

12. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

my dutch is non existent so I can't read the article.....does anyone know what happened at such a young age?

13. Against all odds Dirk won his battle against cancer about twelve years ago. The disease hit him hard again last fall and he fought back, again, but this time without luck.

14. nico

nico New Member

Very sorry to hear this sad news, I will remember Dirk for all the funny stories we shared and the fun times we had.
    Heel veel sterkte Hedwig.
    Nico Peters