1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

repro crickets??

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Monty Artrip, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I searched this but couldn't find anything. Doing a bluegill scene and the client wants a cricket in ones mouth. I don't recall seeing any and hoping someone may have an idea. My other option would be to preserve one but afraid it may be very fragile. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Maybe .........

Maybe do one with apoxie sculpt?

Kerby...

3. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Get a little artificial cricket fishing lure and remove the hook perhaps

4. can't hurt too much to try preserving one, they're 5 cent a piece, or maybe free if you find one outside

i have some small insects in my collection, they're a little fragile, if the fish was going in a case it would be okay, but i don't think they would do well on the wall

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

X2.

If you can't find an adequate artificial, preserve three or four. One in the mouth and put the rest in a jar and tell your client they're fragile and may break if he's not careful when cleaning (tell him/her to don't even clean the cricket!) Give the jar with the extras to your client to swap out just in case! OR just tell him/her it's fragile and you'll replace f.o.c. if the one in the mouth ever does break apart. Not a lot of other options. By doing this you're being up front with your client which they'll appreciate and respect. And, if you're lucky they may bring you more fish while they're coming in to have their cricket replaced - lol!

6. Yeah I would go with the fishing lures cricket. They have all kinds of little critters out there, you may have to paint it though.

7. Here is one from Amozon for $2.47 - Creme Cricket Bait (2-Pack), Small, Brown by Creme

8. den007

den007 Active Member

Magicproducts.com is one of several outfits that sells preserved crickets. In my experience with crayfish, they come nice and flexible, but fall apart when dried. You could take one and coat it with Envirotex or a similar epoxy and see if it holds together. I would try one minute quick set stuff.

I do think a better, perkier solution would be to enlist a good fly tier and advise as to what you want.

9. Monty Artrip

Great ideas everyone. I appreciate the responses.

10. FishArt

I agree with the others - if you can talk your customer into going with a lure or something artificial that obviously would be best. Otherwise, like I said just warn him/her if you do go real. Much better IF your client knows something is fragile and breaks it vs. no heads-up. Otherwise it could come back on YOU...

11. CodyTheCorgi

CodyTheCorgi Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Bugs are really easy to dry out. Just pin them in place and wait until they stop stinkin/drying. Theyre always fragile hough, you might be able to dip in it something? It will most likely make it shiny though.

12. den007

den007 Active Member

I bet this guy could whip out some nice ones. Pretty realistic little buggers. I attempt to fly fish and love to use hoppers and other terrestrials for panfish. I thought these were special.

http://dronsworld.blogspot.com/2012/12/foamular-of-corrugated-foam-criket-v3.html

13. FishArt

Holy cow Dennis - that is COOL! Great find - bookmarking for future reference. I'm not a fly fisherman and I had no idea some folks could create such a realistic looking cricket!

14. Monty Artrip

Wow! Those are awesome Dennis!!