1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First shot a a grooming buck.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by rookie541, Jul 16, 2014.

1. I am not a taxidermist but I want to be one, am I headed in the right direction? I know the color of the tongue is off because I paint it everyday besides that where can I improve. This mount was a wall shoulder mount but the antlers hit the wall so I turned it added wood to the side and added vines and part of a tree I found down by the lake to make it a wall pedestal. First time adding photo also, Like the name says rookie..... :-\ hope it works
    http://rs1374.pbsrc.com/albums/ag418/rookie541/grooming%20buck/groomingbuck007_zpsca0f8a0f.jpg~c200

2. [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Should have used the open mouth and the ears are in the wrong location, they shouldn't be that far down and back on the neck. The harsh brown ring around the eye, it needs to be softened, blended. Yes, you appear to be headed in the right direction. Oh, and that tongue, ish.

5. tem

tem Well-Known Member

ears seem to far down the neck. and maybe its just me or the picture. but the tong doesn't look in line with the nose.the crees in the tong looks like its to the deers right a little. and I suppose a deer can make it go ware ever he wants it to go. :)

6. tem

tem Well-Known Member

3bears. you beat me about 2 seconds. lol.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Did you mount the deer? Or did someone else? It is unclear in your first post.

8. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

The ears for sure. Right now the ear canals are attached to the spine and lower jaw, not the skull. The top and front of the ear muscles wrap around the antler burrs, your's are 3-4 inches back.

9. I mounted it, just wanted to try something different and just looked at the one in Fosters. I altered it and tried to make something out of it. I have repainted and going to try and dehydrate the ear to see what happens

10. Paul what should the ear canal line up with? Above the eye or inline with or just have the top of the ear muscle line up with the antler base? Thanks for the help

11. Get some good reference. I see promise in your work. I can tell that you can visualize things in your head. Keep at it and soon things will become second nature and your work will take off.

12. Im guessing your cape was way too big for the form that's why your ears ended up way off look at reference and look at the skull to see where the canals are