1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bear rug skin is crumbling

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Ron, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Ron

Ron Member

MO
    What can you do for a black bear rug that the skin in between paws starting to crumble?

2. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    Pics would be helpful

3. Ron

Ron Member

MO
    [​IMG]

4. Ron

Ron Member

MO
    [​IMG]

5. Ron

Ron Member

MO
    [​IMG]

6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Probably not a thing just leave it alone.

7. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

CAREFULLY take off the backing and laminate some fabric to the skin on the inside. I'd use Tear Mender and denim(lt wt).

8. Ron

Ron Member

MO
    Is there some kind of glue you can used to put on the bearer pads to strengthen them help them to keep him from crumbling?

9. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Use the Tear Mender to laminate the fabric to the skin....Was I not clear?

10. Ron

Ron Member

MO
    Yes I understand about the skin to felt use fabric mender. Now asking about foot pads and skin between claws. What to use for that OLD FART Thank you

11. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Same thing, maybe use a lighter fabric so you can fit it to the shape of the toes.

12. Ron

Ron Member

MO
    I bought some Singer no sew glued and pinned felt to hide. Says let dry 24 hours will let you know how it works. Thank you OLD FART!

13. Ron

Ron Member

MO
    Worked like a charm. Thank you OLD FART

14. Huggs

Huggs Member

OLD FART I've used tear mender before on a old old zebra hide before but did not know how long it would last. Have you done anything with it to test its longevity?

15. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

I've fixed my old favorite jeans, that my wife would prefer that I'd thrown away. They have lasted me as work pants for YEARS........through repeated washings! The Tear Mender and fabric will last forever on a rug.