1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Odor removal

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by fennectech, Jul 16, 2014.

1. fennectech

fennectech New Member

Okay so here is the deal i found a fox that had been killed by a car it smelld pretty bad of decay (i quite enjoy the foxes natural smell) I have placed the tail in a bag with quite a bit of salt to absorb the water id like any advice on how to remove the smell and i do want to keep the tailbone inside im just quite worried that the smell will stay after the process is finished

2. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    First of all I would take the tail out of the bag so it does not retain moisture

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    snap your fingers 7 times and make a wish.

4. fennectech

fennectech New Member

first i cannot snap second im daily monitering it and replacing the salt as needed to remove moister

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    when, you're done salting it you will have a dry, rotten, stinky fox tail. Your best option is to skin the tail and tan it or dry preserve it at least. If it makes it through that process, then if you want it rigid, replace the bone with a wire.

6. fennectech

fennectech New Member

What is dry preserving that is using salt right?

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Nope, do a search on here and read till your hearts content.

8. use a couple drops of "Tap-A-Drop" on a paper towel and put it in the bag. will work guarantee.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Only half correct, must be done twice a day.

10. Tap-A-Drop is the best stuff I have every used. it has removed the odor from anything I tried it on. But yes some times it would take a second application. Not always the norm.

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Sorry Low T, I didn't want to give away all of the trade secrets. ;)