1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rainbow Trout expert ?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by double barrel, Jul 17, 2014.

1. double barrel

double barrel New Member

I've probably done less than 10 in my whole life. However, back in the day before polytranspar and color charts I would research a fish if painting for the first time. Mostly photos from hunting and fishing magazines. Also, I'd study the dead, iced down fish , and with that and the color pics. I would try to get it close. I don't have access to live , fresh out of the water trout. SO.....what color do you paint the upper back on a rainbow trout? If you can, give a "oneword" answer please. Black, yellow, red, blue, brown, purple, green, etc. Just for fun. I just watched a dvd by an expert. Either I'm colorblind or he is, I've been getting it wrong all this time. lol!

2. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

I guess if I have to use one word then green. But I would rather say olive green. It won't be long and you are gonna get a million answers or q's on time of year, region species.........

3. I would need to see a photo of the Rainbow that you have in question. There's is no one word answer when the backs of rainbow can very a lot. From a shade of brown to almost blueish green and every shade in between. I also layer different colors to obtain the final color.

4. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    As a one color answer, I'd recommend Polytranspar Medium Bass Green #61 (I think that's the color).............a starting point at least................

5. double barrel

double barrel New Member

Thanks alot guys. I always thought they were more of a brown back fish. Then I saw the guy keep laying on the green and another shade of green it just blew me away. He never used any brown at all. Near as I can figure , I'm just color blind and eat up wid da dumass. Thanks for the replies. Also, appoligies to the 8 or 10 customers that I screwed up your mount by painting them brown.

6. Most of the ones I do here in PA. are green or greener. I use photos supplied by my customers.

7. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Even on green backed fish, I somehow almost always am using a brown either to tone, or tint the back color. I never used to, but here lately, it seems every fish I paint has some brown on the back. Weird.

Like everyone else said, pick a color and go with it . Blue, green, Olive, Black, Brown, or all of the above. Match the photo or idea you want, and go with it!

Jimmy

8. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

Don Frank uses a transparent green with a drop or two of white to give it a little opaque. It seems to give a very nice olive look and can be adjusted to fit your needs.