1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

So where is the money.....???

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by michael p., Jul 17, 2014.

1. l

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Thank you dianny. Harry, I can't believe you posted that. YOU and JOHN CREAGER, more than once made no bother about naming John Janelli, Carol Janelli, and Joe Kulis of being responsible for the loss of that $10,000. I would expect you, if you want to retain ANY credibility on this board BOTH YOU AND JOHN C. to apologize. YOU shouted to the rooftops that your program was impeccable and incapable of making such an accounting error. Now that too seems to be in question. You also keep referring to:

Are you part of the board now? Obviously we're all mushrooms being fed bull$hit by someone. I can tell both you and John C. one thing: If it were me who'd been slandered like those three people were by you two, I'd get me a good lawyer and own most of your businesses soon. Several of us tried to advise you to tone it down and we got shouted down. Now it's all out in the open and you're trying to schmoose us into believing there was no harm done. WRONG!!!! It polarized the membership back to the not too distant past where wheeling and dealing and accusations tore the organization apart. Just when it showed signes of being revitalized, YOU played a significant role in dragging it back into the mud. Shame on you.

3. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

I still don't get it. I've always thought Harry had his "stuff" together. I can't believe he'd come on here with those accusations if he wasn't certain that the money was missing. Maybe I'm wrong about him. Either way, I could care less really. John C, thanks for the invite, but at this point, there is no way I would hitch my wagon with the NTA. Personally, I still have a distrust of this board. I'm sure I'm not alone. What would benefit the NTA the most is for all the current board to resign and be replaced with folks who have never served on the NTA board. Perhaps trust could be regained and the organization could move forward with a clean slate. I would be interested in serving, but my deep distrust of the folks who are on the board now (and with other former board members) would not allow me to be a positive contributor to the group.

Before I hit post, I want to set the record straight on what I mean by "distrust". I don't believe any of you are bad people, crooks, theives, etc. That's not what I'm saying. When I say distrust, what I mean is I get conflicting stories and I don't know who to believe. I hope that makes sense.

4. X2

Also you should know who entered it into quickbooks as everyone should have a different login. The audit tool shows you everything.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. Mitcher

Mitcher New Member

To Whom It Concerns:

In regards to the missing funds from the 2013 NTA convention, the NTA accountant stated that “We can’t prove it, and we can’t disprove it as no protocol was followed." Her recommendation was that the NTA go forward and set up protocol so that no problems should arise in the future.

Mike Briganti made a motion to accept Harry and Beka’s recommendations for protocol in handling the cash at the 2014 convention. John Creager seconded the motion. Motion carried.

On Wednesday 7/16/2014 the NTA accountant worked with myself, the secretary/treasurer, and volunteers handling money to set up protocol for this convention.

Is the money missing? As it is, Harry nor the CPA can agree how much or where the money is missing, so we are at a standoff. After much deliberations within the Board, the CPA, and members present there was not a resolve that would answer the question definitely, nor replace any missing funds should it be determined that funds are in fact missing, and if so, how much. Therefore the Board cannot take a position beyond putting in place protocols with checks and balances to prevent discrepancies from occurring in the future, which have already been implemented. As President I cannot give you a definitive answer to resolve this situation due to past protocols. Therefore I could not with good conscience pursue this situation with the very limited amount of evidence that sits before me and this Board at this time, so a decision was made to move forward, learn from our mistakes and take steps to insure nothing of this nature ever occurs again.
    Sincerely,
    Mitch Webb, NTA President

6. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Holy horse chit batman, look who finally came down from on high to mingle with the commonores. Welcome to Taxi.net Mr President.

7. CJ59

CJ59 New Member

After being begged and pleaded with for almost a year to communicate with the NTA membership, finally Mitch Webb has made a statement, and it says………..nothing. Below are several e-mails I received from Vice President Jim Ellis (sorry, Jim, I hate to get you involved but am left no choice).

“Carol
    We have found Mr. Whitehead unaccounted for funds. They were actually deposited in the account and our records indicate this. However proving this to him and the membership has been a challenge.

Jim E.”

“Carol
    Thank you very much, I felt sure it was in Mr Whitehead accounting, and advised him as such well before he made the post on Taxidermy.net. Rest assured Mitch and I will do everything to pressure them for a public apology on Taxi.net. It will be well deserved.

Jim E”

This was followed up last week with a personal phone call to the accountant, during which she assured us verbally that no funds were missing, no money was ever missing, and every penny was accounted for.

So of course there is nothing to prosecute, since THERE WAS NO CRIME.

However, if people are still looking for a scandal, I will reiterate what I posted on here once before. During last year’s convention, my assignment (given to me by Mr. Whitehead) was to handle credit card transactions. My station was at the opposite end of the table from where the cash was being handled by, among others, Harry and Vicki. My ONLY involvement with cash (again, since Harry was running the financial show, he assigned duties) was to go to the bank and make deposits, which money had already been counted and deposit slips filled out. I never counted cash nor filled out a deposit slip. John’s ONLY involvement with anything financial was to accompany me to the bank as I did not want to travel alone with large sums of money. During the trips to the bank, John actually refused to even handle any bank deposit envelope, purposely to avoid all this nonsense. If people really want to believe that money was stolen (even though none was), Harry and Vicki Whitehead need to be included in the list of suspects as they were personally responsible for handling large sums of cash.

I devoted ten years of my life to the NTA. I gave up two weeks of my vacation every year for the convention and board meeting, thousands of hours of my life, and I hate to even think how much of my personal money was spent. In all that time, there was not any hint of controversy associated with my name, until now, and I resent being put into this position when I have done nothing wrong. The biggest regret I have in my life is getting involved with the NTA. My suggestion to anyone considering running for office in the NTA during any upcoming election is to RUN AWAY as fast as you can.

And, George, I was way ahead of you as far as the suggestion you made earlier. I have already spoken with the intellectual property experts in my law office with regard to how we should proceed.

8. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

Well, it seems that I must come on here and defend my position. I still stand behind my statements that the money is missing. The "accountant" doesn't have a shred of proof to dispute this statement. She admitted that at the meeting. She also told me that to "correct" the problem she was going to absorb the missing money in deposits made before the convention even happened. To explain, deposits made on 7-11-13 will absorb invoices created on 7-18-13!! Now I ask you, HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE??? This is a person that can't even make a deposit ticket out. As I have been told, she incorrectly made a deposit out at the convention but yet she accuses me of entering data incorrectly without a single piece of evidence!!!

Now to address Mr Ellis. Here is a man that doesn't even own a real copy of QuickBooks unless he just recently purchased it. He said he has the starter copy which basically is just a calculator. The bank statements tell it all. The accounts reconcile. The money is STILL missing and the reason they are having a hard time convincing me is I asked for PROOF and they could show me NOTHING!!!! Mr Ellis wanted to sweep this under the rug. The best way he could do this is to blame me for it. Mitch Webb told me, "There has got to be an end to all of this otherwise it will go on forever." I agreed but I told him it was his decision whether to pursuit this or not but it damn sure wasn't going to fall on my shoulders because what I telling you is the money is still missing. Data was not entered TWICE!! The accountant couldn't show me not even ONCE where the data was incorrect.

So now Carol, I still have the data and program on my computer. Randy has it at his office since he is the one that created the program. The money is still missing. You do what you have to do and so will I.

9. CJ59

CJ59 New Member

Goodness, Harry, try not to have a heart attack! Hey, I never accused YOU of anything, did I? And, if you read my post accurately, you'll note that I never even filled out a deposit slip, let alone fill one out incorrectly. That was not my department. Have a good weekend.

10. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

Carol, I didn't say you filled out a deposit slip incorrectly. I said the accountant at the show THIS year did. ALSO, I didn't accuse you, John, Joe, Mary, Me, Vicki or anyone else of anything!! All I have done is report MONEY IS MISSING!!! Money is STILL missing!!! That's it, That's all!! Who knows who took it!! It had to be somebody! Now, unless someone can show me otherwise that is my stance!!!!!

11. Never, ever again will I be a part of this nonsense. I will support my state association. Period

12. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

Amen to that

13. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

Wow...I agree with the two previous comments.

14. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    In the last couple years of reading this nonsense I have noticed 1 major theme. When it comes to accusations, controversy, and who done its, Harry is right in the middle of the mix. Just an observation, better than a soap opera. Keeps me entertained before deer season opens.

15. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Well, I guess it's time for my report.

As I promised all of you, I was there for every minute of it. And as you know, I was on a mission. There was NO WAY I was going to stand for anything less than the truth and full disclosure. What came out of this has already been reported to you by Mitch and by Harry. What both are telling you is in fact what happened. As for how it happened is pretty easy to see and understand. I have never seen such a disorganized bunch in my entire professional life. Seldom does the right hand know what the left hand is doing. Now I COULD set here and fault find until my fingers bleed, but that is not going to help anyone or the NTA. I can however tell you that a lot of tightening up on the board procedures is taking place. New protocols have been put into place with checks and balances mandated, so hopefully the loose control standards of the past can and will become things from the past, never to become so lax in the future. There was a lot of new territory that this board had to familiarize themselves with. Things that were controlled by the Crains in the past, so a learning curve had to take place.....and it is taking place.

Having extending my stay there way beyond what my original intentions were, I can now comfortably say, I now have much more confidence in those who are running the show than I did in the past. I sincerely do believe that an understanding of what "we" here on taxinet as members and nonmembers alike, expect from our president and I at this time believe Mitch will be more vocal for us here as his post earlier in this thread does indicate. It is also apparent that some on the board are gun shy of us, (ME) and a bridge of trust and understanding was obtained over the coarse of the last few days that I believe will help change some of the aggravations and frustrations that we have experienced in the past.

Please understand that the convention is still in progress, so be patient........but what you can expect in the coming days is some announcements to be made on the NTA website with links posted to them here on taxinet. Some of those announcements include the drafting and implementing of new bylaw changes. The announcement of an election to be held and nominations being asked for, with time lines to be set forth as well. This board is tired, and worn to a frazzle with all that has transpired over the past year and a half. If you recall, the board was frozen and many have seen their terms expire, so many board seats are going to have to be filled. A plan has been put into place so that the newly elected board members and the old board members will serve conjointly thru the next convention so a smooth transfer can be made. Mitch will announce how all of that will work when he announces the election timelines and procedures, but be considering who you would like to see on the board going forward.

There were several things that occurred while I was there that gave me hope that the NTA was headed in the right direction and most of the past has truly been placed in the rear view mirror. Some of those things include the number of people who showed up in spite of all the battles that have been on the front lines. Many of which I myself have been in the middle of. Also indicative of the hope of the future for the NTA was the people of recognition who were in attendance. Many presidents of state associations, many known top competitors, leaders in our industry such as Larry and Kathy Blomquist, Ken Edwards, and every supply company that we all expect to be there and then some. The trade show area was FULL, and business seemed to be good. Most seminars were filled to capacity, and as has already been posted......over 50 more mounts than last years convention numbers. So the pulse was good. The books checked and balanced as they were suppose to. There was one instance where a set of numbers got transposed, but that was quickly discovered and corrected and all monies checked to the penny. Protocols only work when you follow them correctly. In this case, another protocol was implemented immediately to ensure yet another check and balance before the close of business for the day and seemed to work without flaw.

So what is my feelings about it all? I feel good about where the NTA is headed. I saw too much positive to throw rocks at anyone at this time. As for the past, no that isn't pretty at all. But I too had to come to a place where I had to let it go, and find some faith in those who are at the helm. Yes, there is damage done that will surely never be able to be fixed now. But if we are to move forward, the past has to to be put in it's place, and kept there. That includes anything Fred and Harry were contemplating as well. The book has been closed. It's all over with and done. I know many of you have strong feelings surrounding those issues, and understandably so. But regardless of your feelings and position, rest assured, that is over and done with as well unless someone wants to reignite it which I hope is not the case. Let it die. Fred and Harry have put it to bed. I hope the rest can do the same.

From what I saw, those present want to move forward. I think that is what we all should now want as well. I renewed my membership and will do all that I can to help in that progress of moving forward. I hope you will see your way to do so also someday in the future. But what I came to realize is, the NTA is moving forward, with or without me, so I might as well jump on in and help move it along.

That's all I've got for now. But you can expect to see more from Mitch in the future. I don't think he will let us down on that anymore.

Good night. I'm going to bed, so don't call me. LOL

16. Brian Reinertson

Iowa
    Thanks Tim for an honest assessment. You are the one people can actually believe my friend. Looking forward to seeing pics

17. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I 'use' to believe that crap too, till I hear things like 'we can't have a show in the North East because unions will not let us set up our own show & we have to hire union laborers to do it & can't afford it'...... and I know for a FACT places in Ohio & Pennsylvania who would welcome them with open arms and let them set up as much as they wanted!

Do not piss down my back & tell me it's raining, do not keep your damn conventions in the south & call yourself 'national' (especially when it's a FACT your LYING about the reason that keeps you from going there)! Do NOT have a settlement with the 2 crooks you fired & then say 'its confidential what we did with your money'.

I don't know W T F you people are smoking, but the lies, attributes & habits continue & you say 'I think it's changed'. Your [expletive deleted]ing crazy :)

18. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Where is the convention going to be next year?

19. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

While I think it's important to move the show to other parts of the country, I agree that in some areas (not all) there is a strong presence of the Unions (thank a Democrat). Most large cities are the problem (i.e. St. Louis), but western Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Kansas, or Iowa would be nice..... To people that continue to complain about the NTA and the people..... If you were that concerned then you should have gone to the meeting. If people still want to bitch and complain take it somewhere else. Tim went down there because he felt the same anger a lot of people did (He Went and did not enter the show but went for the NTA and the meeting). When I was at the WTC last year I had a good talk with Billy about the NTA and told him I was once a member 30 years ago but dropped out (and not because of the organization and administration). Billy then told me he is a life member and has been for some time but refuses to listen to all the crap people spew out and read in between the lines... Now i know just what he means. So just keep up the crap and spouting off all you do is belittle yourself and help us realize just how little person you can be. As for me I have made comments before and some I'll stick by but after talking to others that were at the meeting its time to move on and Help......

20. Brian Reinertson

Iowa
    Thank you Michael P for posting what I was thinking in the back of my mind... I just didn't want to get flamed since I'm a part-time wannabe. Why is the national show always in the SE?? In my mind it should be located where everyone has a fair distance to go. Like the world show. Even the Iowa show hosts in the middle of the state for that reason.