1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

So where is the money.....???

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by michael p., Jul 17, 2014.

1. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Is the NTA still judged in a closed room? If yes, why was someone 'shadowing' Yox?

2. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

He needed someone to wipe his brow

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Ron, I can't speak for the current situation, but in the past, judges OFTEN had "recorders" accompanying them. Additionally, before the NTA would certify a judge, they MUST serve in that postion. It's tough to get experience if you don't apprentice someone who's already certified.

Now just to play the devil's advocate, IF it had been "closed", how did you know someone was shadowing Bill????

4. Tim was getting the experience for judging. You would be amazed at the things you learn about species while scribing or assisting.

5. ElkinsTaxidermy

6. ElkinsTaxidermy

So, what exactly has Tim Thacker done, in a competition setting, that would even allow him to become a judge? I was always under the impression that a judge needed more than red and white ribbons to qualify as a judge. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

7. antlerman

Who said I was going to judge? Not hardly. But I was "allowed" to do it. It was a GREAT learning experience and one that I appreciated very much. Don't be jealous. Maybe if you have a friend that is a judge, they would "allow" you to shadow them sometime also. If you get the chance.....DO IT. Seeing a judge, judge........is probably the best learning and teaching opportunity there is. I highly recommend it.

8. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

Ron, I disagree with you on you perspective of a judge.. Winning a ribbon in any category or division doesn't necessary mean the person is a good judge. Just like like because a person wins a lot of ribbons doesn't make a good teacher (i.e. our school systems across the country). I will use the old phrase of "I can't play a piano but I can tell when you hit a bad note". To be a judge you need to be impartial and don't care who owns the mount (we all know that politics don't play a part in the judging LOL), know what to look for (just being pretty is not the only thing). I could probably go on and I used to think the same as you "a person should not judge unless he wins the Masters". There's a lot more to judging than ribbons. That is not to say that anyone that wants to judge be allowed but Tim for example was not judging but acted mainly as a scribe and get some experience with judges. I'm sure that if you wanted to do this and was willing to put in the time (for free at your own expense) they may allow this for you.... Just Ask. I am not a judge and don't want to be but like you have looked at enough references to know when something is off or a bad note. I don't know if there is a defined criteria for one becoming a judge at a show (would like to see an example even from a state) but I guess that will be an on going subject....

9. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Most great basketball coaches were not the best layers and most of the best crew chiefs were not the best race car drivers.....

10. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

Harry have you lost your mind? Blaming Joe Kulis & John Janelli of stealing $10,000 the Crains are no longer there's people trying to rebuild the NTA isn't that what you wanted like everyone else? Be help to accomplish this if that's not possible then silence may be the best reward in time. And yes George I think you would be a asset to the NTA. The Taxidermy industry needs a national organization as much as hunters need the NRA. so everyone should be encouraging it to become what it should be instead of bashing people that are trying!

11. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

Are you talking to me?? If you are, I didn't blame anyone or anybody. HOWEVER, the money IS gone. You can come to your own conclusions.....

PEACE OUT!!!!!! :)

12. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Well I'm gonna check out of this one, I have way to much work to do this week to lose time to what by October will simply be another cluster [expletive deleted]..... if the hand holding lasts that long, the 'new softer NTA' already behind the scenes has Jim Ellis & Mike Brigante's head on the chopping block..... they're soft targets because they will not come on here after the execution.

Adios muchachos, don't ever say Michael P. didn't warn you ;)

13. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Actually I was who said it was ok to shadow me. At every level Ive ever judged, except the World show, Ive been asked if Id mind. I typically decline, because I either dont need the help, or perhaps wasnt comfortable with who they had in mind. The NTA show is big, busy and I knew the help would be appreciated in this particular instance. A scribe or future judge is not required to be an award status level taxidermist. NTA members didnt seem to question it...

14. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Scribes.............

Assisting a judge during the judging process is a great way to learn. The scribe is not a competitor, nor is he a judge. So Ron, I am a little confused about your concerns. It does not affect the end results. I am not sure how you think this affects the integrity of the competition.

:)

Kerby...

15. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Geesh guys, you heard Tim say we was just wiping Bill's brow, I hear he sweats a lot! Nothing wrong with him helping whatsoever. Tim is a true student of this art and Is doing everything he can to help. Tim, when I get famous for mounting field mice you can be my scribe anytime

16. taxi_grl_ga

taxi_grl_ga Active Member

:'( :'( :'( I asked to scribe for Bill and got a big fat NO :'( :'( :'(

So what's Timmy got that I ain't got, huh? ::) LOL

17. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

As long as the person isn't competing in a category that the particular judge is judging there's nothing wrong with it, it's actually something every show should offer as a drawing to participants as long as the judges are aware beforehand and as long as everyone understands its a privilege and is adult not to make drama after the fact.

18. antlerman

Tim, when I get famous for mounting field mice you can be my scribe anytime

It would be an honor. :)

So what's Timmy got that I ain't got, huh? ::) LOL

Can't tell ya, then you would know my secrets! ;)

Maybe try 100 dollar bills. ;D

19. Like coonhollow I dont see any fault allowing people to shadow or write for judges.

I wrote from Brian Harness at the Huntsville NTA, White I learned was I knew more about lifesize mammals than I had thought. HE would ask what I thought the animal would score and I was almost always two to three points lower than he was. I learned a lot that day, of course being close friends helped I think. after just a few animals Ilearned some critical things about them and could spot those as I walked on the next one and had it written down before Brian got to the part for it on score sheets.

I think a good seminar would be to have series of heads set up and have the judge go over each out loud to the audience, then have someone with a camera who could show this up close as the judge explain what was good and what was bad about the series of mounts.

20. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

John C I agree that would be a great seminar I have seen judging seminars but to do it as you suggested would give alot more insight to the subject