1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

So where is the money.....???

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by michael p., Jul 17, 2014.

1. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

Having done the judging thing myself, it is mentally exhausting, ,and yes there is a heap more to it than meets the score sheet eye, ,,I would encourage such a mentor move to allow silent assistants, just to watch a judges procedure teaches you a whole host of things about 'WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING FOR"
    Even a tennis player gets assistance from ball boys for towels, balls etc on court,, its a time saver that the boy serves the towel to him, rather than he walk over and towel off his hands after each serve.
    Shows only grow bigger, so does the work load

2. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

Yox did a great judging seminar at the MS show this year. He had two whitetail shoulder mounts and went over them just as he would be judging them for comp. he went down the score sheet and even had people from the seminar come up and look for things. It was very informative.

3. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

75% of the time the judge has a "scribe" at any show, including state shows. Many times it is their wife, other times it is a friend who they can trust. It depends on the judge.

Some guys need to do it alone but others do a better/quicker job by JUDGING and having an assistant WRITE.

4. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Yep. I'm very aware that there are people who 'write' for judges. I didn't see anyone say they were 'writing' for Yox. If you are not 'writing', and you have no credentials/accolades to ever BE a judge, you shouldn't ever be in a closed room. You don't have to be 'award status level' to be a judge? Never met one yet.

5. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Ron, lets just cut to the chase. You've had a problem with me since the beginning of time. Your little bitch comments are well noted. You and Brice can cry all you want about me, but guess what. I'm here, I ain't going anywhere, so deal with it. And furthermore, if you want a showdown at a competition with a deerhead, then bring it. I feel pretty confident that I can smoke your ass. And I may just become a judge someday, so be careful with the crap youre slinging. Some of it just may find it's way back on you. Have a good day.

6. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

7. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

So, you would hold a grudge as a judge? I've competed with deer head once. Ohio show, blue ribbon. Don't really plan on doing it again. I'm a stand up guy, and wouldn't WASTE my time doing ANYTHING with you. Chirp, chirp.

8. antlerman

I rest my case. LOL and the viewers can see you for who you are, Mr. Stand Up guy. ::)

9. davehyer

davehyer New Member

I was gonna stay out of this, but I guess I am not that smart. I don't know Tim, other than his posts on this website, but I do know Ron Elkins, I have known him for a few years, and I would say he is a stand up guy.
    No idea with the history here, but like I said, Rons a good guy.

As far as what Richmo said, I agree that a judge doesn't neccasarily have to be a world champion to be a good judge, but doing a critique is a huge part of being a good judge in my opinion. How can you give a good effective critique if you yourself aren't capable of doing the work that you are supposed to be explaining to someone?

10. antlerman

Dave, I've never met Ron, and I don't doubt that he is a stand up guy in all aspects, but he does have a problem with me, and his comments towards me can only go undealt with for only so long.

Now about the judging thing......

Many respected judges are not World Champions.

Bill Yox
    Rick Carter
    Fred Vanderburgh

that's just three that I have mentored with, and I know there are many more, such as Jody Green, Keith Bowman, and many many more.

I don't buy into the notion that last years winner is this years judge. If you do, that's fine. But I think that's a crock.

I probably can hold my own when it comes to a whitetails anatomy. However, having the time, the money, and the dexterity, to pull off an award winning mount does NOT diminish ones knowledge, nor does it remove ones ability to recognize when someone has done it right and when it's wrong.

Think about it.

11. No place in a competition for a judge with a grudge. They shouldn't even know who's piece it is unless it has been paraded around at other shows. I would also hope that any scribes would not be around when the mounts are brought in. Wouldn't want a scribe mentioning to the judge who's mount he is looking at. I could see that happening real easy.

Bruce

12. antlerman

I agree, and I assure you that did not happen. There was one guy who has attended a Yoxathon, who saw me in the hallway and asked me to look at his mount, which I did, but that was before I knew I was going to be allowed to shadow Bill. But not one word was mentioned to Bill about that mount until AFTER he was done judging it, then I told him who's it was. As for the rest, I had no clue who they belonged to except Jack Emery's mount which we all know, and Bill had already judged it before, so he knew that mount as well. But, you are talking about integrity, and I agree. One of the reason's I would consider becoming a judge someday, is because I have seen the integrity issues before myself, and I don't like it.

13. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Wait a minute here, I thought competing was about learning, not beating the next guy and stroking your ego. Silly me. ???

14. antlerman

Depends on the level your at. If you think those who compete at the Master's level are not there to kick ass and take names, then you are silly. LOL

I know guys who may mount one mount in two years. There only goal is to win. It IS a competition.

15. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yea, I know that Tim, just attempting to interject some humor here, it seemed to get a tad heavy for a spell.

16. antlerman

Gotcha ya! ;) Silly me. LOL

17. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

LOL!

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Again, THANK YOU, 3Bears.

Ron, give it a break. You want to claim that you never remarked about anyone scribing. If you're such a stand up guy, then speak damned English and stop hiding behind vague references. While you're at it, show me exactly where Tim even HINTED at "grudge judging". He told you to put up or shut up and challege his deer with one of your own in the open competitions. Sounds like something many of the guys here are constantly bragging about theirs being bigger.

Now Dave, that is pure, unadulterated bull$hit. "Notoriety", "award winning", "famous". I get so damned tired of hearing that. Can you play a piano? Then how can you tell with the pianist screws up. How many umpires or referees have actually played the sport at the highest level? ANY COMPETENT TAXIDERMIST CAN JUDGE ANY SHOW. As long as he's consistent in his scoring, the numbers might change but the outcome is always the same. Most of the ego guys want to be able to claim "Bill Yox gave me a blue ribbon" rather than hearing "George Roof gave me a blue ribbon". What does it matter? I may have scored it a 99 and Bill gave it a 91. Now what are you going to do, compare scores with last years winners? Every taxidermist out there has some unique signpost he leaves on a mount. Anyone who travels the circuit and is concientious about what he does is going to see and remember those habits. I'll bet you right now that most judges can pick out a Rick Carter, Bill Yox, Fred Vanderburg, or Dennis Harris mount if they didn't show up and I brought the piece in for them.

My biggest bitch with NTA Past President Joel Edwards and R. J. Simington was their pushing through that bull$hit that in order to judge, you had to have an AofE. All that does is set up another strata of celebrity is a friggin industry that plays with dead animals. Forgive my cynicism, but that's just plain laughable Just remember, I have a little experience with dealing with "celebrity judges" and my experience didn't turn out so good.

Now Tim, 'splain to me that part about Rick Carter not being a World Champion.

19. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    The next time I'm out east visiting my mom I'm gonna visit you too George! We can talk, bicker, and even agree on things. Thanks for keeping things real on taxinet. I respect you and want to learn more about this very interesting industry.

20. antlerman

Now Tim, 'splain to me that part about Rick Carter not being a World Champion.

What do you need explained??