1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Coyote Skinning/Tanning Video?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Kaiada, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Kaiada

Kaiada New Member

This winter I want get a few coyotes and have been looking for instructional mounting videos. I plan on getting the one by Brain Harness as I've heard it was good, but he starts with a tanned pelt. Does anyone know of any videos that show the skinning and tanning process? I know the basics from tutorials I found here but would prefer to see a video before attempting it myself. (I plan on testing the tan on less valuable pelts first, of course.) I assume the skinning process would be pretty much the same with foxes, so fox videos would work as well.

Thank you for the help.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If you get the skinning and tanning a bobcat with Brian, it will show you the process with Krowtann. It is essentially the same process as for a coyote. I would definitely degrease a coyote hide.

3. Kaiada

Kaiada New Member

Thanks, I'll look into that. Another question--I was planning on using a Trubond tan since I've heard good things about that one, but would tanning be any different considering it's a paint-on? I would like to soft tan some as well since I have a small freezer and cannot store as many things in there (also want some wallhangers). Would you keep the cartilage in the ears, for example? Will the tan penetrate without the hide being submerged?

Thanks again.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I use Liqua tan, which is a paint on tan and it will produce a soft tanned hide comparable to a home submersible soft tan, so I assume that the Tru bond will do the same or better from what I have heard.

5. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Tru bond 1000 B is what you need. Go to there Facebook site and read. Skinning for a wall hanger is just case skinning and split the tail.

6. Now that's good advice.