1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

removeing grease from fur/hair?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by isnarewolves, Jul 18, 2014.

1. I tan a few hundred bears a year and have for 21 years. about one bear a year comes in from a bear baiter and has an excessive amount of cooking grease in it's fur.(animal based cooking grease).
    All hides are soaked up in a dawn soap solution, pickled, degreased in knolbock's EX-40, and tanning solution has a generous amount of dawn soap in it.
    Any product that will take this grease out of the hair after it has been tanned? Grease is soft and oily. I have tried many different product over the years.

2. Not very often I see the "tanning elders" with nothing to say. :-X ;)

3. CodyTheCorgi

CodyTheCorgi Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Ive heard people that put borax on the tanned skin, let it sit over night, and brush/blow it out. I havent done it myself, but its worth a shot since it wont damage the hide.

4. I will try. that is something I haven't tried. I hate when I have to give back a hided to a customer that is less than desirable. but I can't put hours into something I have no control over. Thanks Cody

5. Just an update for removing lard type grease from fur. used the boax. it did dry out the grease, but did not comb out easily. pulled a lot of hair out. guess it's back to the drawing board. Thanks all.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Why doesn't the degreaser work? I would think that if you are using a proper degreaser it would get any food type grease out as well. Are you leaving too much tanning oil on the hair?

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If the grease on the hair is animal based, wouldn't it be the same as some of the natural "grease" that is in the hide? Why the dawn in the tanning solution?

8. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

It's not that dawn isn't a good degreaser but I would use it on birds and not bears. You should have tried tru-bonds degreaser for you need to soak it in a warm water bath for you to get that grease out and I would have done it during the pickling time for it to work properly. You can try gassing it to help break it down or paint thinner but doing that many bear a year I would not be using over the counter products for degreasing bears. JMO.

9. thanks again all. first I don't just rely on the dawn soap as my main degreaser, just a supplement in soak-ups and in the tan as an added relaxer and degreaser. (more is better) because of the amount of surfactant in it, and cost. all hides go thought a commercial degreaser product by Knoblocks (EX-40) really good stuff. For several hours. Again I run a few hundred bears a year. only one will have this very unique problem. I have used thinners and acetone's.
    ironically Mark from Knoblochs called me yesterday and I had quizzed him. He is going to send me something to try also. I can post results again. :-*

10. Update.. got the vast majority used cooking grease out of the hair, from the bear. the only thing that work very well was some "solvex D-50" a knobocks product.

Applied direct to hair, working it in. let it set over night and comb it out. took a little to comb out but it worked. very little hair came out during combing.
    re tumbled looks great.