1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First time Competition Question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by RichMO, Jul 18, 2014.

1. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Ok.... This is my first time to enter into even a state competition and I have a question. My game head is not a pedestal and was planning on hanging it on the wall (or their display boards). Do I need to have it on a plaque or is it ok to leave the plaque off? I still have time to get a plaque if needed (there is no backing on the head currently just a hanger).

2. Should be fine without a plaque. I have seen some with, but a lot more without

3. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Bring a D hanger, look forward to meeting you in Missourri Rich

4. Everything is screwed to the backboards, you can put a hanger on it or not. See you at the show

5. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

We double screw all mounts to our backboards. Don't need them falling off by being bumped or as judges are feeling and prodding your mount.

6. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

You don't have to have a plaque, but I would recommend that you use one.

7. If you have two days to enter it before cut off time, take it the last day. I overheard the Judge tell a friend during his critique, he would have got a red instead of white ribbon if he would have not judged it on the first day while he was still fresh?????

8. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

KB,
    Sound advise but I'm under the opinion that if it isn't good enough the first day it isn't good enough any day. I prefer to have the judge be honest with me no matter what time....

9. Rich they will be honest whatever day but they might be less likely to see flaws when they are wore out after 2 days of judging. Its hard work going over 50 plus mounts with a fine tooth comb. Maybe the second day the comb is missing a few teeth.LOL

10. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    I'm sure Eppley will judge the same whether it's the first or last deer he sees. I heard a rumor he knows whitetails pretty good..

11. Brian Eppley is a great judge he knows his stuff and is very willing to share his knowledge also his whitetail seminar is one of the best i have been in good luck at the show we will be at the NCTA show less than 2 wks

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

No plaque required or recommended, the judge looks at fur and hair, not wood. He/she will look at the eye shape, nostril shape, hair patterns, will look for paint in the hair, proper use of fillers, lips tucked correctly, and twenty other things, but the plaque will not even be a thought.

13. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

I agree that they will judge the mount and not the wood I have seen mounts at the WTC hung on the wall with and without the plaque and having worked at the last WTC I thought it was easier for me to hang their mounts with the plaque. I also made it a little more pleasing to look at..... Well anyway, the plaque is on the way.

14. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Good luck. Having seen your deer I'm interested in seeing how you do. I think it turned out pretty good.

15. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Panel or no panel, makes no difference. We also only allow entries on Friday so no "perceived" advantage by showing up late.

16. Good Luck Rich