1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

"Lucky" chipmunk...

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Lizardfeathers, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

Shot this chipmunk this morning and when I went to retrieve him I realized he was "special". He had hideously overgrown lower incisors that have grown up through his nose and one upper incisor is missing but the other curves back and almost renters the roof if his mouth. His left front paw and wrist has no bone and has just one finger. He has a few other healed injuries on his back leg. I think I'll keep him once I mount him. Name him "Lucky"! ;)

[​IMG]

2. That's bizzarre!

3. That's pretty cool... I bet you'll do a great job!

4. Lizardfeathers

Thanks whitetail! I plan on mounting him tomorrow. I'll post pics of it so you can see all of him.

5. Justin2011

Justin2011 New Member

That's crazy I cant wait to see pictures!!

6. Post pics once your done. ill be curious to see the mount looks like once its done.

7. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

Poor thing, one of my past rats had a malocclusion that could have ended up like that if left untreated.. I had to take her to the vet every two weeks to get her teeth clipped.

8. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Wow. Bizarre.
    I hope you are going to clean and save that skull?

9. Lizardfeathers

Re: "Lucky" deformed chipmunk...

Well I got him mounted today as promised. Here is a picture of his mouth. The upper tooth actually curved back into and penetrates the roof of the mouth about 3-4 millimeters.

[​IMG]

Here he is in all his deformed glory!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Lizardfeathers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Lizardfeathers

Close-ups of the face. His teeth push his nose sideways and appear to have never been worn down by gnawing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Lizardfeathers

Here is the deformed leg. The wrist has no bone and the paw has bones in the one central finger. It doesn't appear to be an injury.

[​IMG]

This was my second chipmunk and I don't have much experience with mammals. The only thing that went wrong was the right front leg tore when I was skinning because of a large scab or scar on top of the leg. I was able to sew it back together but the thread shows too much. I will tweak things and make them better as it dries.

Nancy, believe me I thought about keeping the skull. However I have never had much luck with skull cleaning and I really though that with the other anomalies of the animal, a mount with the skull would really be worth it...

I sure hope I did him justice...

13. JessF

JessF New Member

Wow, you did a really nice job! That's an awesome specimen. I wonder how the poor thing was even able to eat when he was living.

14. Lizardfeathers

Thanks Jess! I'm not sure what he was and wasn't able to eat, but I do know that he was cramming ripe mulberries in his mouth when I took him. He probably would have died soon from the tooth getting ready to grow into his brain... :-\