1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

If you were mounting your personal deer this week....

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bluebloodtaxi, Jul 19, 2014.

1. brian89

brian89 Member

[​IMG]

Ots coombs 9500 cross... This is my personal deer that I'm re mounting soon..

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

McKenzie 6500 will be my choice until anything better comes along.

3. dotlodge

dotlodge New Member

Revolution

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Good to have ya back George.

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

The 8500 series from Bill Lancaster, slightly altered. Which reminds me I have 3 of my own to mount someday!

6. OTS - just put my Archery buck from last year on their wall ped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Research Mannikins turn around ped.

8. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I would start with one made of foam. Where I ended up at wouldn't be any of the previously mentioned. They all suck.

9. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Id have to go with whatever form looked like my deer...some have nice features, but the necks are noticeably short. Some have a good look, but too many alterations for the anatomical accuracies I prefer. Some look ok, but the foam isnt good for altering, and we seem to alter them all at least a little bit. Funny thing, after all these years, the 8600 from McKenzie is still a pretty darn good looking form that I use as an upright or a semi upright. Revolution has some decent looking semi sneaks for certain deer, too. Its all a moot point for me, as I have yet to nail a really good deer, and havent even been out since I moved south... :'(

10. John L

John L Active Member

I have to agree with George the Mckenzie 6500 is what all my deer are mounted on, they look good but a lot of the reason is our deer run in the 15 to17 neck range and there is a wide selection in this form

11. Dawg3458

Dawg3458 New Member

OTS

12. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Now I understand some of these choices. Here we wouldn't be mounting anything with a 15 - 17 inch neck...unless we wanted a doe mount. ;D

13. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

OTS or Matuska Competitor's Choice, maybe Coombs. Depends on the deer!

14. bgman

bgman Member

Anything but a Mckenzie form!!

15. Competitors Choice semi sneak head up offset shoulder

16. OTS for me

17. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

So........the REAL question is...........Which form/supplier is the most popular TODAY? Isn't THAT the REAL question? Judging from some of the answers, none of you have found a single issue with YOUR favorites. I find that hard to except because I see flaws in all of them. Does that mean I think I know more than them? NO! Absolutely not. But can you guys not see the short necks on the OTS forms? The Twisted noses on most of the McKenzie forms. The wrong neck sizes on Mears Forms? The soft foam on the Research Forms? And that's not to even mention the poor anatomy on most ALL the forms. There is not a form out there that doesn't have some sort of issue. I guess if the forms could arrive at your door step mounted, that would be your favorite form/supply company. Have we moved so far away from being taxidermists that the term no longer describes our profession? As I said earlier in this thread, IMO...they all suck. However all of them are better than going back to the days of yesterday. At least today you can start with a block of foam from some supplier, and have a starting point to work from. And that is about the extent of it.

Who wins? The company who best convinces you that their product is the best. I see they all have many faithful followers and that's fine and well. But please don't think that any of them are the end of needing to use your own knowledge to produce a quality mount. The reason the use of reference is told so much is NOT so that you learn to tuck a skin properly, but so that you can learn a deer's proper anatomy. If all these mannikin's were right, there would be no need for the term to be used. Just tuck the skin and go. Sadly, that is not where we are at yet, but know that is how many perceive it.

Can you tell that I've attended enough Yoxathons that I finally DO get it? But I don't want to just hang this all on Bill. Every notable in our industry that I have studied with have all said the same thing. That a mannikin is merely a starting point.

Now that may be fine for a customer mount, but the question was.........If you were mounting your own personal deer today. Surely you would correct the things that you know are wrong that a customer may not know is wrong.

18. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I agree with Tim that all have faults and none are perfect. At the Yoxathon we spent a whole day just discussing forms, anatomy, and how to alter forms to make them more "correct." That being said, how many clients would notice any of the imperfections in forms?

19. This week I'm putting up two forms I've never used, Joe Coombs 9800 and 9300 series.
    Next week I'm going to be with Bill Yox putting up a McKenzie 8600.
    If I had one choice I gotta go with George an the 6500.

20. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

I believe the original question was, what form/ pose would you choose. Why would you assume no one realizes the form they prefer is just the starting point Tim. Calm down buddy, the form doesn't mount itself, we all have to do something to it before we can call it finished. Of course none of them are perfect, but the fact still remains, some are " MORE " accurate than others and take less work to make accurate. Some have more curb appeal and are a just a plain "better starting point"....

Every Reputable Taxidermist you speak of in our industry has a preferred starting form for their project Tim. Most are forms they themselves had a hand in designing. So how is that any different than the opinions stated in this thread ?

So here's the question of the day... Since you hold the opinion of the most reputable taxidermists in such high reguard, which we all do, then why do YOU find faults in all the forms they themselves produce for us to use ?

It all boils down to an "OPINION" Tim..... We all have one, and we ALL fall short, even the elite.... In the real world, Deer are as different as people are. There are no set rules on exactly how long a deers neck is. The only thing for sure is the number of vertabra present. But the size and to an extent... shape-to fit the size- varies in all animals...... Muscle groups and mass is no different... There is in fact only commonality between individuals. Thus the " POLITICALLY CORRECT MOUNT" is born....

It's no big secret I prefer OTS, but for my own personal deer, if it fits, I love me a well mounted Coombs 9500......

Best, Steve