1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what do they do with dead zoo animals?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Andrew M, Jul 19, 2014.

1. i really don't have a clue where to post this but it seemed like a good place here. so yesterday i went to the Minnesota Zoo. after seeing all the animals i was wondering what they do with them when they die? i kinda doubt they'd just toss em. (i don't know if they'd even do this to animals) but would they like cremate them? that may sound kinda stupid but i really don't know what they'd do with them. do taxidermists get them some times? if so what kind of permits would one have to have to get a like a tiger or something else that exotic? i was just kinda wondering.
    any info would be great.

2. also where would the best place to post something like this in the future be?

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I believe some will have an autopsy performed on them if the cause of death might warrant it. Otherwise, most zoo's they are incinerated/cremated. At least that's what someone I know who worked at Brookfield Zoo here near Chicago told me years ago. Sometimes donated to museums, but lots of red tape and not too many museums re-investing in animals anymore. I would think MUCHO RED TAPE for giving or selling to taxidermists. You're not non-profit and I would bet too many headaches. Ask somebody at your zoo next time!

4. Here at the Rio Grande zoo they have a separate area for zoo animals at the dump. The guy they hired to take the animals away got in trouble twice- once for having rotting zoo carcasses on his land and annoying neighbors. Another time for just dumping a full giraffe in the zoo's dumpster! lol

5. double barrel

double barrel New Member

Another time for just dumping a full giraffe in the zoo's dumpster! lol

That's crazy right there. " Well let's see! I gotta get rid of this dead giraff. Darn this thing is heavy. I'm gonna have to dig a big hole. I know, I'll just put it in this dumpster, I dought anyone will notice. " LOL!

6. FishArt

I've been told that the larger animals typically get chopped up first into manageable pieces so that they can fit into the incinerator!

7. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

Sounds par for the course, in our neck of the woods they prefer to incinerate them rather than sell or dispose of them to taxidermists, there paranoid the public will accuse them of destroying them to make money so it's burn, burn, burn

8. wi chuck

wi chuck New Member

I wondered that also so I made a few inquiries; here's what I found. In my area, Madison, Wi, the animals are used to train vets at the local university.

I recall that incident out in Ohio some time ago when that man let loose his collection of zoo animals upon the public and the police gunned them all down, had a big hole dug and buried them. Had they made arrangements with meat locker or something similar, the dead creatures could have been froze and auctioned off. I realize the uniqueness of the situation precluded such a possibility.

Chuck

9. FishArt

Donating vs. selling probably releases any liability and is also probably a tax write-off for the zoo. Same reason they try to donate to museums I suspect...

10. Thanks for the replies guys!!!

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Yeppir!

12. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Here, many of them are sent to the state's veterinary school for necropsy. They are then incinerated.