1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

heres a nice coon

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by foxman, Oct 10, 2006.

1. foxman

foxman Guest

[​IMG]

2. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

Is he in a trap?

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

that coon's in a trap, thats as tacky as a deer mount with an arrow stuck in it.

4. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

IM not 100% sure, but I dont think that is a mount. It looks to me like he took the pics of the coon before he dispatched it.

5. Jims Wildlife Studio

Jims Wildlife Studio Full Time PA Taxidermist

I agree with KevinH.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I know that it is not a mount, the picture of a" live coon in a trap" is as tacky as a mount with an arrow in it.

7. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

Are you anti trapping Mr T? Whats wrong with posting a pic of an animal in a trap on a taxidermy forum?

here's 2 animals in traps!

[​IMG]

Some of us trap, get over it.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I trap too knuckle head, but I dont show them in traps nation wide where Peta can use it. Your hurting your own cause. It's like giving them ammo. They come around here and snoop you know.

nice double toe hold by the way.

9. trappersteph

Well considering thousands of photos are posted at trapping sites and all I ever see at the anti sites are the same handful of 30 year old pics, and all their made up crap anyway, I don't see how it would hurt to post a few here. If the paw is not bloody or anything, which isn't a regular occurance anyway. I did once see a mount of a bobcat in a trap and it was actually pretty neat. It was a PA bobcat, a real trophy. It was displayed at the PA Trappers booth at the Harrisburg outdoor show.

The 2 fox above are 2 of 80 I caught last season.

10. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

I have to agree with Mr. T and 4000fps! I have nothing against trapping but to take pictures of the animals in a trap gives me the same mental image of strapping a guy in the electric chair and taking pictures right before you fry him.

11. trappersteph

I take pics for reference use too. Good for fur patterns on the face, ear shape and inner ear fur patterns, and symmetry of eyes, nose and liplines. I do take some closeups. I have also seen some superb pics of live bobcats and coyotes that were in traps.

Why do I generally take pics of my catches? Same reason deer hunters take pics of thier deer they shot, or a bear hunter takes a pic of their bear, etc. Look at the trapper websites and you will see ALOT of trappers feel the same way I do.

What about an angler taking a pic of a live fish dangling from the hook? A fish they intend to eat or have mounted.

12. Thumbs up 4000fps. Thanks for your angle on this issue!!

13. I trap(or used to). I never have photoed any of my successes but I see no harm in do such. In theory any photo from hunting, trapping and fishing can be used against us. If a trapper wants to photo his catches more power to him.

14. foxman

foxman Guest

hey you all, i didn't know this was going to be a hot topic,i was wanting everyone to see what a nice coon i caught nothing wrong with that.by the way nice fox catch

15. I trap but i use a more humane way...I use the big cage/kennel type trap...then i get a good size pillow case and put it over the trap...then i run a 5 gallon bucket of cold water...and in it goes...with a rock on top...in 5 minutes I am ready to skin...Ammo is too expensive to waste...and besides i don't want to damage good skin or skull specimens I might be able to sell on Ebay... ;)

16. You serious elkhunter? I never know when your joking. How expensive are .22 bullets. Drowning doesn't seem to be a very humane way to dispatch an animal. What about them long poles with hypodermic needles attached to them (don't know the name I'm not a trapper)? I know, dead is dead but there are options.

17. To me drowning is about the most humane way...trapping sticks to me might be dangerous, I alsmost stuck myself while giving a bull a brucellosis vaccination in vet college ( i would have ended up wioth permenant menopause for the rest of my life!). From what i understand in drowning, it is said to be somewhat euphoric and peaceful ( had a friend almost drown while scuba diving)...when i drown my animals they do not struggle and it is quick...
    My theory as a hunter is "If ya ain't gonna eat it...don't shoot it"

18. Elk...
    Dude!!! I hear ya...no damage... but I almost drowned scuba diving too (How close have you come to death? http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,3124.msg16436.html#msg16436 )
    No fun bud! And the last thing it is is peaceful! Not judging you here, just kind of uneasy about that method. Not for me ,personally.
    Has anybody ever used carbon minoxide poisoning as a means of euthanization?

19. I married the same woman twice...does that count???

Seriously....last January after my wife and I moved to Cheyenne, we were coming back from driopping the buffalo hide to be tanned off, and hit a patch of black ice, I rolled my brand new Ford Ranger 4X4 three times...what sucks is, the full coverage insurance was said to have "expired" the day after Christmas ( we had automatic payment set up with the bank), no airbags went off in truck to protect us, (I put in complaint with Ford Motor Company, no response), and I still owe $700.00 on it, even though it is totaled...

Maybe my friend came up too fast and had air bubbles in his blood? All he said was he was tired and just wanted to doze at the bottom...

20. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

Sounds like he went to deep. or maybe went down to fast not equalizing well enough. Then I guess it could depend on the prevous dives he made and weather he was in his limits for that dive. I got in trouble one time while diving. My buddy and i where on a reef dive when out of no where two guy came up above us and where doing flips. Well to make it short one of them got to close to my head with his tank. Luckily my dive buddy got me to the surface and was paying attention.

As far as the coon. I don't see anything wrong with that. A lot better then bloody deer photos with DIMES on them. Atleast with it being here. Now if it was like that on Ebay or somewhere then who knows.