1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

heres a nice coon

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by foxman, Oct 10, 2006.

1. BigDogg

BigDogg Guest

its unbeleaveable to me that PETA has us second guessing ourselves and looking over our shoulders making sure we don't some how affend them or "give them something to use against us".... they all have some kind of fear established in us to some point and thats just one step closer for there cause..... we can't back down or do something we regularly would(as long as its not something barbaric that no one would want to see not just peta) cuz uf peta stand up for what we love and that the general love of the outdoors, animals, and the passion to go out spend the day persuing these animals and instead of putting down defferant methods of take that u don't use become more interested int hem and want to learn about it and educate your self b4 going out and making and @$$ outta yourself talking about what u don't know ( know only if peta would do this lol)

2. Wildchild 69

Wildchild 69 Trust Me!!!

This thread looks hauntingly familiar. It's about the same as a dispute over bait hunting,dog hunting, or even ranch hunting. The same idealism could be the "purist" bowhunter who thinks that guns aren't "fair" chase. It all comes down to individual morals and ways of being raised. Does that make one way more right than the other? NO. We all share a passion for the great outdoors and must stand together to defend ALL our rights as a group. If we don't, I guarantee you one thing. We WILL fall as a group.

3. redsquirel

redsquirel New Member

Personally, I wouldn't take a photo of an animal in a trap but I don't see anything wrong with it, everybody has their own preference as to how they preserve the harvest.

As far as PETA is concerned, it is not a valid point to use in this discussion. If they wanted a pic for their numerous bill boards, flyer's and internet posts they can freeze frame the close up of a kill from a hunting video. Videos are big business and I bet most everyone here watches them without disgust. I say "most" because someone will say they don't approve of that form of hunting media just to argue.

4. "I trap but i use a more humane way...I use the big cage/kennel type trap..."
    you ain't ever caught a coyote...
    trapping is the most misunderstood management tool there is.
    the modern traps with offset jaws or a laminate jaw just hold the animal,with no foot damage 99% of the time..
    also i cant imagine a bow hunter knocking trapping as if bow hunting is more humane ?
    ask half the bow hunters out there if they got a deer and they will tell you "i stuck one but couldn't find it"
    i know one that lost two deer last week.. still going hunting...
    i would rather have my hand in a trap for a few hours than have a arrow ran through my guts and left to die in a day or two..
    also i would think getting a arrow through the lungs would be about like drowning, the blood would be leaking out the arrow holes and also leaking in to the lungs.....

5. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Seeings how trappers and taxidermists use each other for their business I cant understand how come there is such a arguement between the two..... One hand washes the other.... Makes no sense to me.
    Goes to show you there will always be someone that will disagree with a thread no matter what its about.

6. In regards to PETA...I would be happy to drown Pamela Anderson in protest to them, but i think with her built-in floatation devices, it's gonna be tough.

7. giuseppe

giuseppe New Member

ny
    i love to see picture of succesful hunters,

8. I have to agree it is tacky. It's kinda like takin a video camera to the slaughter house right before your gonna eat a T Bone. It wouldn't necessarily bother me but some folks don't want to visit to the slaughter house. As for using them as reference I can understand but don't post the pics.

9. Guys/Gals,
    We are all on the same team here...we need to quit fighting about this trivial stuff....the only people who are benifitting from this is the Anti's. Take the photo if you want...more power to you.

10. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

FIRST, I'm not a trapper and don't really care to be, like someone else said, I want to doctor it. BUT I have trapped a few bobcats, coons, and possums that were causing trouble here, and even those were tough to kill - even though I wasn't the one actually doing the killing. I look into their eyes and feel guilty, then have to remember they were killing my hens.
    Anyway, I did take pictures of all of them - for reference.
    I, however, would not want to see one posted that shows the animal in seriuos distress. What I saw above is o.k., no blood or franticly trying to escape.
    PETA has enough ammo, or they'll make it up, they do not need to see us arguing.
    BTW, I have no problem mounting an animal with a teeny, tiny .22 to the head, simple repair. I much prefer that to knowing it was killed by drowning or some other distressful way.

11. hunter_sllrs

hunter_sllrs New Member

that's not right. you can take all the pics you want of the animal AFTER you take it out of the trap. anti hunter/trappers will use anything they can get their hands on to support thier cause. DON'T ADD FUEL TO THE FIRE. it is hard enough for prohunting groups to keep hunting legal for everyone. so don't ruin it for everyone. because you want to take some [email protected]$$ ego building photo. or at least before you post it on the internet.

12. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

But isn't it better to have pics while it's still alive? I would assume it's not gonna pose for ya after you take it outta the trap! We can post pics or we can NOT post pics, PETA will do what they want.

13. Greg Waite

Greg Waite Active Member

Exactly right Wolfwoman. I can't believe how scared people are about PETA. If you guys would quit all the bickering and "this ain't right" "that ain't right" and stick together PETA wouldn't stand a chance. As long as you guys keep this constant whining, PETA gains more ground. I don't care what or how you get animals as long as it's legal. Check out the black coyote in the FOR SALE catagory, tell me it is better to see it dead than alive in that trap. Probably one of the most beautiful animals I have ever seen and I prefer seeing it in the trap then on the floor with blood and all. You can't have it both ways, as long as your a taxidermist you are going to have to deal with dead animals, they have to die somehow, so why has this thread gone on this long?

14. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

Well I start putting steel bracelets on foxes and coons starting wed night LOL

Both species are being a pain this year. Foxes for me and coons for this horse lady who has "had it" with them pooping on her hay and goofing around her barns night after night, knocking things over, and getting into stuff. This problem has been ongoing and I asked if she would allow the dogproof steel traps to be set and not just cages- which many of the coons won't enter. Those bad coons are gonna get it!

Today I had a fox in the fenced front yard and it was banging against the fence and wore a path along it! What a retarded fox!

15. buckeyebullet23

buckeyebullet23 New Member

Ohio
    Just take the damn pictures. Animals are animals! If you have such a problem with it you probably shouldn't be in the business. We all know right from wrong. The ones whining about it just makes you sound like a ninny!!! Grow up.

16. John_NY

John_NY Northern N.Y.

What you missed BeckyP was in the fox pictures all the grass is gone around the trap from the animals running in circles half the night trying to escape. I have nothing against trapping, just pointing that out to you.

John_NY

17. Lonny Travis

Lonny Travis Guest

Last time I checked we still live in America...quite frankly I enjoy trapping pictures and support it all the way.. I have had a trapping link on my website for years and have never got a negative response towards it. Here is a link if ya want to check it out...PS--I love that look in a coyotes eyes when I walk up on him...

http://www.travistaxidermy.net/trap1.html

this guy here really looks like he`s suffering bad uh? He`s caught in a snare...[​IMG]

Is this that look you were talking about...
    [​IMG]

18. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Yes, John_NY, you are right, they are going to try to escape. Wouldn't you? What I meant is that they are not yanking on that trap or chewing their feet off IN THE PICTURE. Yes, there is evidence of them running in circles and more than likely pulling, but they are not in the act in the picture.
    I don't get it, I just don't get it. WE are willing to buy these animals from trappers, yet still condem them.
    It's not any worse than showing skinning pictures and they are on here.
    If PETA doesn't like it then they can cram it up their ***. And this is coming from someone that at one time (a LOOOOOONG time ago) could have very easily been on PETA's side. I grew up fishing but not hunting/trapping, I married into that. And it took me a while to understand that the SPORTSMEN/WOMEN are the TRUE conservationists and not the bunnyhuggers. They (PETA) are just a bunch of hypocrits.

19. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

Where I caught those 2 foxes shown, I had already caught a bunch of foxes in the same sets before them. Why the ground looks so torn up. I caught 10 there in about 2 weeks or so. The ones in the pic, I think the date was jan 15, season ended on the 19th. I think I caught 1 more fox after these 2, so these 2 are foxes #8 and #9.

No foxes so far, 1 night of traps set, last night. 3 locations only. Rain and warm last night.

20. John_NY

John_NY Northern N.Y.

That's fine Becky, I was just pointing it out. I don't have a problem with trapping or trapping pictures. My son is 32 and has been trapping since he was a kid. If I need an animal I just get what ever animal I need from him. They're cheaper that way. LOL..... We should all stand up for trappers if we expect them to stand up for hutiing and fishing. I agree with the person who said if the pictures bother a person they are in the wrong business. I enjoy all the hunting and trapping pictures that are posted here.
    I have a friend who wraps his deer in a tarp before he loads it onto the trunk of his car so he doesn't offend anyone. I think that is rediculous.