1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Advice needed to get my son's small red slider preserved

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by Heather_74, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Heather_74

Heather_74 New Member

Hi. I am in need of advice and not having any luck on the general internet so I am hoping to find help here. My son's red ear slider recently passed away. When I asked him about burying it he said if there is anyway possible he would like me to take it to a taxidermist and have it preserved so he can keep him forever. I live in Southern Illinois, the home of deer and ducks, I would be fine sending him somewhere but I have no clue who can make his pet look life like and it's so important.

Making it more difficult, although he was a few years old he is probably only two inches long.

I also know he needs to be in the freezer (and not the back of the fridge) but do I wrap him in a wet towel and newspaper or dry towels and Ziploc? And should he be paper towels or cloth?

I've tried to contact some people but nobody is getting back to me. I HAVE to get him in storage soon and can't find answers.

Thank you for reading this. I will appreciate any help I can get.

PS. Here is a picture if it helps. He is on the right.

Attached Files:

2. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

It's small enough that freeze drying would be a good option, I would also put it in a acrylic case. Joe Kulis is who I would suggest. That is his website link and he can give you details on how he would like it cared for and shipped. Hope this helps

http://www.kastaway.com/

3. Heather_74

Heather_74 New Member

Thank you very much, it had started getting very stressful. I saw some photos from people that had freeze dried little turtle and was selling them. A couple were okay but a few of them had there heads barely still attached and some didn't even have heads or limbs anymore. They were probably just for people wanting shells but it was disturbing and showed me that in the wrong hands very bad things could happen. Thank you so much for your advice. I feel better already.
    Heather

4. I would put it in the freezer asap.

5. Diehl2229

Diehl2229 All Critters & Pets Freeze Dry LLC

Emailed you. I'll do it

6. Btw you're keeping the turtles in WRONG way! No wonder that one is already dead. A small bowl with water only an inch deep... it's awful.
    Without a decent terraruim with shore, heat lamp and UV lamp, the other one is likely to perish too!
    Dried gammarus as food is not enough! Turtles require special foods (like Tetra ReptoMin) when they're small, and raw fish & seafood pieces when they grow larger.
    Turtles & tortoises are not right pets for kiddies, and should not be treated like toys, even if it's such a common, 'not-valuable', native species as red-eared slider.
    If they matter for you/your son more than a toy, improve the conditions! Otherwise, you're committing animal abuse.

7. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Heather I just mounted one that is about 2 inches long at the most. I have to do the detail work to him and paint him yet but contact me if you want it commercially mounted. If I was going to send it to someone that does a great job freeze drying turtles, my personal freeze dryer is Joe Kulis just like coonhollow told you about already. I would have froze the turtle in a block of ice. Seems to work great for little fellas like that. ;)

8. psycho

[​IMG]

Here is that little slider. He has a few problems but over all not bad. I scored an 89 with him in Masters over the weekend at the Missouri Show. You can probably zoom in on the pic if not I can try to get something closer up. ;)

9. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

Nice Dan! Congratulations!

10. psycho

Thanks bud. I ended up winning Masters BOC in Reproductions, BOC and State Champion in Reptiles and BOC in Combined Artist. I also won the Art Rocks award and the Walnut Creek Award. It was a great show for me.

11. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

Awesome! I'm glad you went masters this time around!