1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Have a skunk and not sure what to do with it.

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by rese3060, Jul 23, 2014.

1. rese3060

rese3060 New Member

I had a friend at work bring in a skunk for me to do. Not sure how to go about getting rid of the smell or if the smell can be removed. Anybody have any tips on how to minimize the skunk smell?

2. ASilverFox

ASilverFox New Member

You can put your skunk in a bit of bicarbonate for 3-5 days, it worked for me to remove the smell :)

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The archives have some skunk smell solutions.

4. First and foremost, is getting the fats off the hide,, there is cross hatching in and around the tail skin. You can recognize this by the cross hatching and the small fat pockets. The bcarb for a few days will cause the hair to slip!!

First and foremost is get the skin cleaned from all fats. it will be almost paper thin and very translucent.

5. ASilverFox

ASilverFox New Member

The bcarb for a few days will cause the hair to slip!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oh I'm sorry I didn't knew it :-[ Once I had a racoon pelt with a strange smell and a taxidermist said I had to put it in bcarb for some days, for me it worked perfectly, I didn't knew the hair could slip. So sorry :-[ :'(

6. Raises the pH. if you got by with it you were lucky. Use sodium bicarb to raise the pH of a skin so the tanning chemicals will lock in, but going beyond that and it is si,ply luck.

7. Once I skin, flesh, split lips & eyes and turn ears:

I mix 1 1/2 cups of COLD water, 1/2 bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide, Dawn Dish Soap, and 1/2 cup Baking Soda together and wash the skin in it and slightly agitating the hyde.
    Let sit 5-10 minutes, rinse well with running cold water. Then I salt the hide, roll it up skin side out and let drain over night. Then I shake the salt off the next day and then proceed with preservation. I Soak my small animals in Denatured Alcohol.

8. Skunk Skinner

Skunk Skinner New Member

I have read a lot about getting rid of skunk smell. I always use PERT shampoo. Works pretty good. Worth trying.