1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Planet Redear

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Timjo, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    Officially the biggest one. Hector's custom cast shellcracker @ 5 lbs 12 ozs.
    [​IMG]
    I incorporated the original drop shot rig he caught it on. The lead weight is a cast of the original.

2. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

That fish is just awesome, good work as usual.

3. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

An over 5lb shellcracker! That thing must have pulled like a 20lb striper. Fantastic job on the mount!

4. warthog

warthog Member of VVA and VFW

Fanastic as usual Timjo. Your mounts are so good...they look like they are going to jump off the wall...literally.

5. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

Really beautiful work. Can you post a picture of something next to it so we can get an idea for the total size of the fish?

Its hard to imagine what a 5+ lb sunfish looks like!

C

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Awesome! It's always good to see a priceless fish go into the hands of an exceptional taxidermist. I think many of us have seen fish of a lifetime go to the cheapest hacksidermist an angler can find and the end results make you want to cry. And no I'm not saying I'm anything to write home about, but some of the fish I have seen you almost have to try to make them look that bad.

Just a question though: I thought the new record was 6 lbs.?

7. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Lake Havasu monster and you nailed it!

P.S. I wouldn't doubt it's possible that another bigger one has been caught in this lake. But, I think this one is still the official record as of today - lol!

http://www.in-fisherman.com/2014/02/28/world-record-sunfish/

And there ya go! It seems like this record will be broken every year now!

8. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    Carlson, How's this for a comparison.............
    [​IMG]

I was able to get 2 molds off this fish.................
    [​IMG]

Thanks for all the comments.

9. FishArt

Timjo - so this IS the official new world record - the one in your pics? It only beat the old record by a fraction of an ounce if I'm not mistaken...

10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Very nice, looks fantastic.

11. Lateral Line

Lateral Line The Sea Refuses No River...

JEEEZ- LOUEEEZE!!!! that is an awesome fish!! It's hard to tell the difference between real & cast. Imagine that specimen turning sideways & heading for cover. You would need a tuna rod to stop him/her.

12. dougp

dougp Active Member

Beautiful Tim.......!!

13. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Both .............

Both were caught out of Lake Havasu, AZ.

In Feb 2010 one was caught that weighed 5.55 lbs. (16.75 x 19). That established a new World Record at that time. It held up until Feb 2014.

In Feb 2014 one was caught that weighed 5.78 lbs. (17 x 19.50). that is the new World Record.

And I believe Timjo mounted/repro both of them.

:)

Kerby...

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Ladies and Gentleman,

For those of you that have mounted trophy size redears, is it your observation that the largest ones are always females? (The one above appears to be a gravid female.)

I've done numerous large ones, albeit nothing like the above, and I have yet to mount a very large specimen with the bright red ear tab that signifies a male. Seems the really large ones have the more subtle orange border on their ear tab, which correct me if I'm wrong is a female. And yes the presense of gravid ovaries will make a female weigh more but I'm talking about overall size.

If this is the case it would be just the opposite of bluegills, as in bluegills it's typically the male that is the larger of the two sexes with some exceptions.

Of course they ARE different species hence the different species name after the genus name.

Redear Lepomis microlophus

Bluegill Lepomis macrochirus

15. FishArt

Re: Both .............

Kerby, maybe your dates are off but this is the one I was thinking of caught in May 2011 by Lawler. Reason I remember it is b/c I had a client bring me two 3+ pounders from there and he was on the water when Lawler's beast was taken. Same fish you're talking about I believe but caught in May 2011...

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/fishing/2011/05/world-record-sunfish-redear-lake-havasu-arizona

16. Kerby Ross

You're right.........

You are right, Lawler caught his in 2011 breaking a record from 2010.

Makes you wonder how big they can get?

Kerby...

17. FishArt

Re: You're right.........

I cannot imagine reeling one of them suckers in! The way BG's "pancake out" when they fight I would imagine that these monster Redear gals are like BG's on STEROIDS!

I have to commend Timjo again for the job he did on this fish! I had to look TWICE at the pics he posted to differentiate which one was the mount! Timjo got game!!!

18. Kerby Ross

Ditto ...........

Ditto on Timjo's fish!

Kerby...

19. EA

EA Well-Known Member

That fish is sic ! Holy cow, what a trophy. I had no idea they could get that big.

Beautiful Mount !

20. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    Thanks everyone. I really feel blessed to be able to replicate such a magnificent specimen.