1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best wall pedestal

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by DogSoldierChick, Jul 23, 2014.

1. I decided to start a new thread for this topic related to my deer with memories.
    I know several of you said you like OTS, Coombs, and some mckenzie. I also think the Lancaster forms are nice. I'd like to know which forms have the least amount of prep as far as rasping muscle definition. I'd like to see some of your favorite wall pedestal mounts or even floor pedestal mounts. Like a showcase.... I'm sure it's been done but we all love sharing work and learning from others so post them up form number maker and neck size. Any reasons you think it made it your favorite...

2. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    OTS wall ped with alpha nose hands down. Everything for the form prep is faster from antler set, nose, eye set, etc.. A good taxidermist can do a great mount on any form, but hacks like me rely on help from OTS forms.

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

As far as rasping you need to rasp the whole form, everywhere. If your talking adding muscle definition, most forms, if not all, have to much to begin with. Favorite forms, one that fits the skin and customer likes. OTS are easy to mount using their ear butt system and nose septum, takes some guess work out for beginners. Just tried two Gene Smith wall peds for the first time, they came out nice. I don't really have a favorite manufacturer of forms, just forms I like to use from different manufactures.

4. OTS wall ped. Very little form prep required as far as "softening" them up. Revolution forms take a lot of prep. I'll be working on a McKenzie 8900 wall ped this weekend.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attached Files:

5. verne

verne Well-Known Member

OTS wall ped mounts up nice ; 8900 you better have a little bigger cape to taxi . [​IMG]

6. Has anyone used the newest OTS pedestal? I'm leaning towards it...

7. Brian Reinertson

Iowa
    Yes I have used the newest OTS wall ped. Going to compete in masters with it next week at the MO show. I loved it.

Dang Verne, You are good!!

8. I'd love to see pictures after you've competed. Thanks!!

9. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Second-2-Nature...

[​IMG]

10. Agren I love the creativity and beauty in this mount....
    Verne I envy your smooth perfection...
    Joey that is a awesome mount as well!
    Thank you all for sharing.

11. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Thanks D S Chick ; If you want to see that OTS floor ped mounted go to Mills creek Taxidermy on Fb then click on Photo`s Rick has one on a big base ; very impressive looking .

12. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

This is a Coombs wall pedestal

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y405/learntaxidermyinfo/IMG_2334_zpsa4770733.jpg

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y405/learntaxidermyinfo/IMG_2160_zps2510033e.jpg

13. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

No disrespect but to me there are a lot of forms that could be consicered as "THE BEST". The best is a matter of opinion that all of us as taxidermists form, from our expieriences with the different products that are available to us. To me there are many BEST forms, to narrow this down, I like both Walls peds available from OTS. I also like working with with several of the Coombs wall peds. I have only mounted one deer on the new McKenzie wall ped, it is okay, I just dont get the ski slope that goes on at the back of the form. I have never seen a deer that shows that kind of a rise at the spine.

14. Attached Files:

15. Verne thanks for the link those were beautiful!
    Denton I've always been partial to Joe Coombs. Nice!
    B Jones yes in the right hands any form is capable of magic. Unfortunately I'm not that good yet. I'm beginning to think I'm still not getting the capes thin enough to show any of the definition from the forms. I want to make the wrinkles and form definition show like it does on the forms and on these mounts. Not over done just what the forms have.
    Agren that's a stud of a deer and a really nice mount!!

16. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

I get what you are wanting to do and some of the wrinkles you can do with a heavy paste using vermiculite. You are answering your own questions, desires etc. by properly thinning the cape and using quality hide paste, it allows you to get more of the form detail in you mounts. I think your antlers would look good sitting on a Coombs 9400.

17. Brian Reinertson

Iowa
    I will say it again, for a beginner there is no better choice than OTS. Takes the expertise some have out of antler set, muscle detail, and nose detail. Good taxidermists make everything look great, but they also have 100s if not 1000s under their belt.

18. I like the Mears WP-220 (7 1/4 x 19 3/4)
    [​IMG]
    Or the WP-194 (7 1/2 x 22 1/2)
    [​IMG]

19. That Mears looks good! Lol I think I like them all because the quality of the mounts exceeds mine. Ill get there though.

20. You will...