1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Buying & Selling Laws

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by birdhunter13, Jul 24, 2014.

1. birdhunter13

birdhunter13 New Member

I am trying to find information on buying/selling moose antlers in Nebraska. I have been told that it is illegal to buy/sell/even posses moose antlers in Nebraska. I am having no luck in finding information on this subject online. I have called the state game and parks office and was basically laughed at when asking about moose antlers in Nebraska. Any help on this subject would be appreciated. Thanks

2. double barrel

double barrel New Member

I wish I could help you Birdhunter. Call again, or go visit your local DNR office. I can't see how it would be illeagle to own a set.

This is the one area where you won't get much help on T net. Usually anyway, sometimes. You can ask why is hair comming outta my deer?, or what color do you paint a possum tiddy? and get 100 answers from people with big egos wanting to tell what they know. All experts, wanting to be heard. But ask something about buying and selling in diff states and alot of times you get nothing, zilch. There are alot of grey areas in the laws and I think people just don't know the answer.

Just think if someone would write a book about what IS known. OK, you can sell a deer if you live in alabama to a person in Cal. but you can't sell a bear to someone in Va. You can sell a white buffalo hide in Nev. to a person in Kentucky but can't sell a fish to someone in NC. For example. Everybody would want a copy. Good luck!

3. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

I would contact your state again and ask them to transfer you to the highest position of game enforcment in your state and ask them. That person should be able to tell you there is no problem with it if they can't find a law against it. Be sure to write down the name of the person you spoke with, their title of job (make sure its a wildlife officer or somebody who deals with the laws directly), the date and what they said. I'm sure they have no idea because nobody has ever called to ask about moose specifically they just did it and didn't worry about it. My best guess is that the laws in Nebraska state "antlers" in their writing not specific things like mule deer antlers, elk antlers, and whitey antlers so moose antlers most likely fall into the same category of "antlers" and would be legal to buy and sell. Just make sure you get a signed reciept stating who you purchased from, where they harvested it, and an estimated date of harvest to keep on file. If its an unkown set of antlers use your judgement and if you think it was poached let em walk otherwise take their name and contact info on a receipt as well.