1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dry Preserative Competition piece

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by taxidermistIN, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Van Dykes DP mount. Using dry preserative isnt bad if you are skilled enough to work with it. Thin the hide real good, Hide paste and I was good to go. No pins around the eyes and never pulled away once, just babied it for a few days.

Attached Files:

2. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

3. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Was the winning mount dry preserved as well?

4. KFLAH

KFLAH Active Member

I am still learning and have not worked with dry preservative...just wondering the long term affects of DP. Will the mount hold up as well as a tanned skin 20 years down the road. How does DP effect the skin chemically compared to skin that went through the tanning process?

Thanks, Kevin

5. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

Looks great taxidermistIN! Congratulations on the ribbon!

What about the mounts that scored the least...were they all dry preserved as well?

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have DP'd critters that have held up just as well as the tanned ones I did at the same time nearly 30 years ago. They all look like a kid learning the ropes did them because, well, I was a kid learning the ropes when I did them. But as far as drumming, turning color, Smell, etc. they faired the same, which is very well.

7. Cole- I highly doubt the wining mount was DP.
    I could have used a tan but I just wanted to test my skills a little bit. I use krowtann on most of my mounts but when I get in a hurry on one that's what I do and they turn out fine. It was my deer I took to the competition anyways.

And to awnser the question about long term mount quality. I'm gonna say that it might not last as long as a tanned skin no.. But if you keep the deer in the garage like some people do and no temperature control that can take a toll on any type of mount.

8. Dave Byrd- thank you! I'm still learning my self and it seems to be on here using DP is like a sin. So I took that piece to the competition to prove a point, it can be done. And I'd say some that scored the least probably were using a tan and some wernt. They probably just didn't have some basic things that I learned from last years competition. I love taxidermy and have a passion for it thanks for the nice comment!!!

9. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

Cole the one that did the best at the show was tan ;D ;D ;D Georges favorite tan Krowtan 8)

Attached Files:

10. Everyone has their preferences and favorites but anyway can be good if used properly i personally think krowtann is a great product

11. timstaxidermy

timstaxidermy Member

hi taxidermyin what type of dry preservative are u using on your deer and where have u been buying it from ?