1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Got my feathers ruffled!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by joinerswildlifecreations, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Trying to make a decision~I love mounting fish, deer, anything with scales or fur. I have a great turn around and make good money with them. Now, when it comes to anyhting with feathers, i do a pretty good job mounting them but it takes me forever and by the time i get it finished i make little money and am almost pissed off with myself for even doing birds!
    My question to all of you is what would you do? I try and try but can't seem to get any faster at birds. My wife says keep doing them so i can be a complete taxidermist shop but i am in the buisness to make money and be around the life i love. Do i stop with the birds and do what i am the best at and make money at or do i keep getting upset and makeing hardly any money on birds? I say stop with the birds but i would sure like to hear eveyones input.
    thank you,
    jason

2. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

Have you thought about finding someone to do your birds wholesale for you. There are several around the country that do a really good job. You might not make as much per bird, but you would still be a full service taxidermist for your customers. And that would allow you to spend your time doing what your best at.

3. I had given it a little thought but i think it would really bother me if the work i gave my customer was'nt mine. I may rethink it though.
    thank you

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Many shops have full time workers and sub contractors doing all phases of taxidermy for them. If your part time and your work is exceptional, you will get swamped and never catch up. Customers want their trophy's to look good and you want to keep them and make money. And the world goes around and around.

5. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

I do birds only and consider myself to be a complete taxidermy shop ,I don't sub out work ,,I just refer them to others in the area that are good at deer ''Thunder Bay ''being one.CAN"T stand to work on deer,,Don't let fear [fear of refusing work ] make decisions for you stick with what your good ,,at best at it'll pay off.

6. I am full time Mr paul and my work is great, according to my customers that is. But the way i am going, i will never get caught up because of the ducks and turkeys i have left to do. i can get the fins and fure done easily even though i am backed up but the dadgum birds are like a thorn in my foot! lol

7. Thank you Mr Alan!

8. Ever think about taking a bird class from some one that is good at it? Now you know the basics they can make you better and faster. But then again I am not real good at a lot

9. I took a bird class three years ago. The class was a solid week of nothing but birds but i still have'nt gotten much faster at it i'm afraid. The quality has gained alot but the time is ridicluous! lol
    thanks

10. You could wholesale out your birds and just be up front and honest with your customers.I only mount birds but I don't do full mount turkeys and no more swan.I just let them know. I will give them someone else's name or send their birds out for them.

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

A taxidermist will wholesale out their capes and hides to a tannery with out hesitation and then balk at wholesaling out skulls, birds, fish etc. I was one of them. Only a few hides and capes get sent out. Everything else stayed in shop. I realize that it is hard to trust someone with your reputation on the line, so you have to pick the right wholesaler. This season if all goes well, I'll be sending out skulls, birds, fish, tanning, and rugs, which will free me up to do what I like to do, game heads and small life size. I could turn the work away, but if I price it right, I could make some money with not a lot of effort. It could be a money maker if done right. I haven't researched much yet, so this is just what I'm thinking about for me and for your situation.

12. Thank ya'll for all the input. Makes sense and i sure do appreciate it.

13. KFLAH

KFLAH Active Member

I am just starting out and my focus is deer, so I do not know much about the bird mounting process...BUT for what it's worth, I would raise your bird prices enough where your volume will decrease significantly and you will make a greater profit to cover your time spent on the birds you do take in.

14. tem

tem Well-Known Member

when I first started all I was gonna do was game heads. but the guy who taught me told me to send everything else to him. so I make my money and some more with out turning $ away. ;D