1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Troubles with insects in clear resin

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ginevive, Jul 25, 2014.

1. I am salvaging dead dragonflies from a swimming pool and attempting to preserve them in clear resin (it goes by the name Pour-On.) I have used this resin before to coat woodburnings on pine, and it dried rock-hard.

Now, it is Not drying hard for this project. It remains tacky even after five days. I am wondering if maybe the insect bodies retained moisture and released it into the resin as it dried? I am now starting to soak the insects in rubbing alcohol before drying out and preserving. The ones before, I was merely netting out of the pool (chlorinated; maybe that has something to do with it?) and air-drying for a few days and then pouring over.

One solution at least, for the ones that are still tacky, is to spray Krylon over. It dries hard but then again, I am just sealing the moisture in it seems, and I fear for the longterm permanence of this. Any ideas? Maybe the alcohol-soaked ones will work better (maybe it is the chlorine from the pool water messing with it?) I am definitely using a good 1-to-1 ratio of the 2 parts and mixing just as well as I did when I was just using the Pour-On for the wood pieces.

2. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

I think it's somewhat common for resin to remain tacky especially in thicker pours. I would try 2 things - 1) Direct sunlight - UV rays help the resin to set up. 2) try some of this: http://www.createforless.com/CastinCraft-Resin-Spray-Finish/Sealer-5.25-oz-Gloss/pid82500.aspx?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cse&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=1439820380&catargetid=530001980000043823&cadevice=c&gclid=COe40OGO4b8CFQMT7AodilgA1w

This spray is made to put a thin layer over top that will set up hard.

3. Awesome; thanks! The layers are relatively thick (1/2 inch) and this could explain. I'll get some of that.