1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rugging Classes. . . . .any interest?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Michelle_Nelson, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

I've been throwing the idea around in my head for the past few years about offering a few Rugging Classes every year. I've just been so busy that I havn't put to much effort into doing it. Thought I would put some feelers out there and seeing if there is any intrest.

Classes would include:

* Mounting atleast one head.
    * Making repairs to the hide.
    * Stretching the hide.
    * Dying the flanks.
    * Cutting, prepping, and sewing the felt on the hide.
    * Installing the batting.
    * Installing the backing and hangers.
    * Going over the supplies you will need to do your own rugs. . . Sewing Machine, constructing your own stretching table, etc.

Class contet can be customized for the individual. . . .

2. Michelle_Nelson

[​IMG]

URL=http://s126.photobucket.com/user/michellestaxidermy/media/Rug2_zpsac98418f-1_zpseeffd200.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG]

3. Michelle_Nelson

This was a Rug I did Wholesale. It was rejected by his normal Rugger. The head was installed by the other Taxidermist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

URL=http://s126.photobucket.com/user/michellestaxidermy/media/100_4025.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG]

4. double barrel

double barrel New Member

Wow! Nice save on that one that was skinned with an ax. I love that brown one. Wish I could come, sounds like it would be a great class, good luck.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I think it is a great idea. You don't see too many rugging classes going on.

6. Michelle_Nelson

Double Barrel. . . . . I made the rug shell on the closed mouth color phase rug. First closed mouth Bear Rug I had ever done. I make the majority of my closed mouth bear rug shell. I've been telling myself for the last several years that I was going to enter a few rugs into a taxidermy competition. Ive just never had time.

7. Michelle_Nelson

Just finnished with my first Nanny Mt. Goat Rug. Built the Rug Shell from a change out head. Both back legs cut up the sides, and the front skinned out for a shoulder mount. Leap of death after the shot and one horn core busted off the skull.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Michelle_Nelson

7'2" Alaskan Brown Bear Rug.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. I am interested in learning how to do this but I live in Ohio so that would be a long commute lol

10. sounds like a great idea? Live in Oregon so not to far away.

What were you thinking of charging?

11. Ron

Ron Member

MO
    I would just like to know what type of sewing machine you use to do the
    Rugging with? How you get through those thick pleats in the felt?