1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

skunk odor

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Stef, Jul 28, 2014.

1. i just received some fur from the tannery , skunk still keep the odor ... how i can remouve it ... some tips is welcome

thnaks

2. swills

swills New Member

A mixture of hydrogen peroxide, liquid dish soap, and baking soda usually takes care of it.

3. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

or better yet, buy your skunks from some one who knows how to kill and skin skunks with no stink. like me! I`m sold out now but will have plenty again next winter. if you want to know how to do it there is a chapter on no smell skunk killing and skinning in my trapping dvd. details "poling" skunks with a needle ,for euthanasia with no stink and how to surgically remove the scent glands with no leakage before skinning.

4. I will try the tip thanks..

i m in canada , for pass the border i need it already tan .. last group i buy , it come from glacier wear ...

Thanks

5. I do a lot of skunks every year. This recipe does the trick for me too. Don't see why it wouldn't work on a tanned hide too.

6. freeze_1

freeze_1 Booboo, my business manager

I do wildlife pest control trapping and I get an awful lot of skunks at times and when need be this is the recipe I use.
    It's from the SPCA in PA. ( web site ) and for dogs, etc.
    I double it and soak the skunks in it for about 5-10 minutes, then I skin them.
    Some times I'll wash a second time in the same solution after skinning .

1 quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

1/4 cup Baking Soda

1 teaspoon liquid soap
    (Dawn Dishwashing Detergent is often recommended, but any dish soap will work)

Rubber or latex gloves (optional )

Mix in an open container (bucket or bowl); it will be fizzy, a clue that you shouldn't try to mix it or store it in a bottle or other closed container.
    Thoroughly wet your dog with warm water and then the solution while it is still bubbling. Knead it well into his coat, to chemically alter every bit of the thiols on his hair. Be careful to keep the formula out if the dog's eyes, nose and mouth; you can use a sponge to carefully wipe it onto his face. Let the solution stand for 10 minutes before rinsing. Follow the bath with a thorough rinse.