1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Where to you buy your pelts for taxidermy

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by bonus41, Jul 28, 2014.

1. bonus41

bonus41 Member

This has been something I've been starting to think about.. I just started taxidermy so I'd thought spending more on a already tanned and mountable pelt would be easier... But now that I'm getting into it buying a fully mountable and tanned pelt is getting pricey. What do most taxidermist do? Buy the skin raw and untanned? Or buy the whole animal frozen and skin and tan it yourself... Sure a lot more work goes into it but you seem to be saving a lot of money...

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

2. WILD BROOKIES

WILD BROOKIES JOIN EBTJV SAVE A RESOURCE

your not ready yet

3. bonus41

bonus41 Member

I know I'm not an expert but I have to start somewhere...

4. Buy a feeder rat from a pet store; skin and mount. I know that many taxidermists buy pre-tanned skins, but to me it seems like you have to "earn" that privelage by skinning your own first.

A rat won't need to be tanned; a denatured alcohol soak will do. Archives, archives.

5. Pick up fresh road kill for practice. Things that are not mangled or been laying for days of course. And be sure and check your states laws pertaining to picking up road kill so you don't get yourself in trouble.

6. bonus41

bonus41 Member

I already did this more then a handful of times I have more then enough of them critters in my freezer since I breed snakes..

7. gab

gab Active Member

finbd a deer processor with frozen heads in his freezer that were never picked up.deer seasons coming up and he will need the room

8. Ah ok. I am a fellow snakekeeper/former breeder myself :)

The deer head idea is great; this can give you cheap practice on larger critters and splitting lips/eyelids and turning ears, etc.
    Personally I have relatives who hunt and they give me animals.. you should network (maybe on fbook or another type of site) and see who hunts that you know. Some people just hunt for population control and leave critters out in the field; letting them know that you could use the animals could very well net you free specimens.

There are more than a few great sellers here that can provide everything from whole frozen critters to lifesize tanned skins. Bob Wendt is one who I have personally bought from and would recommend.

9. Bonus41, that's one of the good things about taxidermy....if you only want to learn "parts" of it you can. If you are only interested in mounting objects you can do that but in that case I would think you really a taxidermist and some may take offence. I prefer buying the animals whole, frozen so I can get A LOT of measurements, when I first started out I liked to see how things moved under the skin. You can't go wrong with the above suggestions and when the cold season returns check out guys like Bob Wendt or old60furs (Marc) which are both first class sellers. Good luck to you.

10. Clayman357

Clayman357 New Member

Aves is offering double salted capes of various sizes for FREE to beginner and students of taxidermy. So if you are currently learning or want to learn give them a call. Buyer just pays shipping, which ranges from $20-35 depending on how big the box is and how many I can fit. When they are gone they're gone. We also have critter clay seconds for $25. That's half price....Give us a call...715-386-9097.

11. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Your question was where you can buy mountable animals and should you buy already tanned. If you're looking to learn how to prepare an animal to be mounted, then the info above will help. As to where to buy...SIVCO Tannery in NY. They often advertise on this forum. JL