1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rattlesnake eyes

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by Diehl2229, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Diehl2229

Diehl2229 All Critters & Pets Freeze Dry LLC

I'm about to freeze dry a very small Prarie Rattler but I can't find convex eyes small enough. I ordered 4 mm but they might be smaller. Anyone know where I can find smaller snake eyes? I might freeze dry the original eyes and try and paint them after. Thanks

2. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

You have two options the way I see it. I have mounted prairies as small as 8 inches. You can either use plastic eyes, the balls found on the ends of some straight pins available at any craft store or walmart in different sizes or you can cautiously skin the guy, inject the eyes and mold and cast them. ;)

3. Jiantzzz

Jiantzzz New Member

This site allows me to learn more as well.

4. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

I use ceramic heads off straight pins that can be found at Hobby Lobby. look through the packages for the ones that have the most white or yellow heads in the box. They are easier to paint than the red or blue ones. The ceramic heads seem easier to use than the plastic ones which usually have a seem you have to deal with. ;)

5. The beads work great, its all I use on small snakes, where would we be without hobby lobby!
    DC