1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Beginner here...ethical discussion?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by ofearthandbone, Jul 31, 2014.

1. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Shame on you Michael. But I'll agree, I don't care what side they vote as long as their money is good.

2. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Spot on, James Parrish..

3. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    Kill it , Grill it and mount it , or kill it and mount it don't matter to me long as I get paid. Ethics are a personal issue ALL animals are dead when I get them in I can no longer help them.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If you believe in your Holy Bible, God was having man sacrifice animals. After the flood, God told Noah that man can eat meat from the animals. There are several accounts of how to prepare meat and what kind to avoid. Heck, God first clothed Adam and Eve with skins made from animals after the fall. Some of those sacrifices were not eaten and that was acceptable to God. If you're not into the religious aspects of it, look at it from an ecological aspect. Life feeds on life. Humans are higher animals, so why wouldn't we participate in the circle of life. I do believe there is no sin in killing animals, however, I do have a problem with killing animals for pleasure, entertainment, and for the joy of killing for the sake of killing. Therefore I don't participate in it. If some one wants to and it doesn't go against their conscience, then more power to them. That just means that their ethics in that area are not mine.

5. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

You asked for discussions about the ethics of killing and taxidermy. I read a lot of discussion, but I didn't see any personal attacks. I would say if you can either participate in an open and honest discussion, or you can be hyper sensitive and overly easily offended--not both. We'd love to keep discussing, but if you don't really want a discussion then it's a waste of time.

6. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Don't feed ..............

Don't feed the troll!

;D

Kerby...

7. ofearthandbone

ofearthandbone New Member

I wasn't looking for options about me. I just wanted to hear others views on the subject. I feel that most posts were coming at me directly which wasn't what I was seeking. I am no longer going to view this thread. I will carry on with my research and wish all the best. Thanks to the role on your opiinions regarding what I was seeking.......I hope I am not the troll you speak of. I feel like I have been trolled. It seems to me many are too quick to defend what they do when a question has been raised toward them. Many of you did not stop and think about where I might be forming from. I am not here to judge you nor do I want to be judged. I again, was merely looking for a discussion on ethics. There are many sites regarding this and I wanted a more communicative talk. Thanks again.

8. Kerby Ross

Trolls.......

Trolls .... always play the "victim card".

;D

Kerby...

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

OF, let me ask you a question: Have you stopped beating your child?

See what kind of question that was? No matter how you answer, you admit to beating your baby. That's exactly what that convoluted post of yours did. You prefaced your question by implying what we do was contrary to "morals", "ethics", and a vegan lifestyle that even you admitted didn't work out for you. Your "question" then becomes one of how we justify OUR morals and ethics by doing taxidermy. And now you're feigning shock at our answers???? I tend to think Kerby may be right.

10. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Another new wanna be taxidermist with conflicting morality ideas. Probably will end up doing rogue taxidermy on ebay. All I can say is toughen up or your old mentor is gonna eat your lunch or kick you out. James gave you a good guide. So grow up and don't let a little thing like where and what the animals were used for bother you. Did you kill it, if so that's your conscience. As long as it was legally taken and there money is green and you have the desire to create something you and they are proud of that's all that matters. And if you don't want discussion and opinions be careful what you ask. Many make there living doing what your conflicted about here so danged right they're opinionated lol!

11. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

It sounds to me like you just didn't get the answer you had hoped for so immediately you write off the whole taxidermy community. You were given some good advice and nobody was beating you up about your dilemma. We can't make the decision for you. That is on you. Lots of people go to work every day and do a job that absolutely HATE with a passion and/or disagree with. However, it is called "making a living" and that beats starving to death. You have to make a decision about something you obviously disagree with now. It also sounds like you need something to make a living with since you are going to food banks and most likely collecting welfare, food stamps, etc.

It does not make a damn bit of difference what the taxidermists on this site think. Whatever you decision I am sure most taxidermists on this site wish you the best of luck.

Vic

12. double barrel

double barrel New Member

This is an interesting topic. I do think E. and B. got "a discussion". What I don't understand is how can cleaning bones and skulls "give them new life"?, or "honor them"? I had some questions too along time ago. I went thru the bible research thing, ask other people. I even got to thinking, "How many preachers have I hunted with?" How many have I done mounts for? If they think it's alright then it must be OK, right? I've hunted with 3, mounted for 2, I even have two mounts hanging in a church, lol!

Now I know I watch too many movies. And Hollywood don't always get it right when trying to depict how it was way back then. Like in "Last of the Mohickens", opening scene. Hawkeye shoots a running elk thru the heart at 200 yards with a mini ball. Up comes his red brothers wanting to pay respects to the dead elk. "We are sorry to kill you brother, we honor your courage, strength and speed". Now I'm sure that elk, if it could talk would say," you can stick that honor up youe ass, along with that flintlock."

Another Indian movie, "Last of his tribe" shows the whiteeyes killing off the last "YaHee" Indians, just to exterminate them. In it, Graham Greene shoots a doe with an arrow. Then he offers it a drink of water. "Dugh!" That doe"s a thinkin, "listen dipchit, I'm dead here, don't need no water thank you." You can pull that arrow out though.

I think Marissa Tormet, Tormae, however you say it, got it right in "My cousin Vinny." A little doe is walking thru the woods and spots a brook. She puts her little doelips down to get a drink a watter. BAM!!! A 30.06 round slams thru her head. Now I ask ya, "do you think I give a chit what color pants the son of a bitch that shot me is wearing?"

Point being, once these animals are dead, I dought they think that boilling their scull out and cleaning there bones is honoring them.

I'm just having fun with it. It was a legitimate question I guess. But you shouldn't get offended if you don't get the answer you want.

I'd tell that taxi who honoredyou by giving you a dead wabbit to take a hike. Sounds to me like he's toying with you. He thinks you ain't got what it takes to do it. Why waste time and a good specimen just trying to do it on your own. If he's going to take you on as his apprientist he should go ahead and do so. Then, maybe you could learn to mount the rabbit and do a good job. JMO!

13. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I want to start a discussion on ethics. I don't believe in all the murdering you taxidermists do. I want to be a taxidermist, but I don't want to kill like all you unethical murders. Please discuss how you can possibly live with yourselves and the abhorrent things you do. Also, don't judge me or I'll play the victim card and say I won't read any of your responses.

Signed,
    A former vegan that is holier than all of you

14. ofearthandbone

I feel like I need to summarize here…..
    I do not think any of you are un-ethical. I respect what all of you are doing. This is your life. You make your own personal choices as you see fit and what makes you happy and prosperous is what matters.
    I am not here and never had any intention on challenging your beliefs. I was just seeking your opinions on your ethics in taxidermy. A discussion. No wrong and no right answers…just how you feel about it in your path of taxidermy.
    I WAS vegan and WAS never holier than though. I made my personal choices and never judged what others do. Again, this is your life and not mine to judge.
    I am not here as a pity party. I only mentioned the food pantry soley to explain my reasons of eating meat regularly again. I am not a welfare case either and do not expect to live off of others. I had become terribly ill 5 years ago with 2 babies and no family support. My husband has had to take care of all of us full-time, physically, until recently when my health had been greatly on the mend. Things are looking up for us now and the food pantry has allowed us relieved great stress on us and feeding my children is number one….I would kill for them. My husband bought me a slingshot to practice for this years wild turkeys that live in the back woods of my house. This is illegal and I am saying that I will not kill any. *******
    Since I have been on the mend I have given back to the community as well. I donate my fresh veggies back to the pantry that I have grown in my garden. I also volunteer. I have always felt higher than handouts until I became ill and am grateful for the community help….I do see that 95% of the people with their hands open are in no right. Lazy beasts, knuckle dragging, mouth breathers. I hate them for this. They really ruin it for the people who really need (temporary) help.
    I will persue taxidermy. I do feel the sculptures I create from cleaning skulls is paying great respect to the animals. I do give them new life and share with others the beauty they have. Most are put off by the dead and skulls and bones…I have been able to introduce a different way of looking at this subject. I am happy here.
    Again, I was not looking for opinions towards me. I told you my story briefly and wanted to hear yours. There is no right or wrong here.
    Thanks

15. ofearthandbone

I wanted to share with you my next projects this coming month…so frustrating….i can't seem to upload pics from my computer, even after sizing down…any suggestions? in the meantime check out my page…the photos are posted…no this is not self promotion….my page is new and hasent been completely finished. I have much more to share.

https://www.facebook.com/kikivon.haus?ref=hl

Attached Files:

16. timberliner

timberliner New Member

wack job!

17. ofearthandbone

This thread was meant for non judgement….wack job seems pretty judgmental and trollish….if you don't like it…move on…no need to be mean….i don't think that saying whack job "whak" to anyone on this forum is acceptable…..i will report.

18. Kerby Ross

Good luck ...........

**.i don't think that saying whack job "whak" to anyone on this forum is acceptable…..i will report.**

Good luck with THAT!

LMAO

:)

Kerby...

19. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Just cast a spell on their azz. ;)

20. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

You really think Ken, Bill or Rick care??? LMAO!!! Ken get your paddle out!